Savage .204 for coyotes?

Originally Posted By: Ohiolongarm The 204 is more than adequate for coyotes,mine has a 1 in 10,Thompson center venture. I don't reload ,I've found Hornady and HSM make more than enough loadings for various applications. The 39 Blitz King will be your best bet,@ 3857 fps,and a high BC of 0.287,at a quarter mile it will drop a coyote if you can hit em.I've killed dozens in the last several months,check out LRHF,you'll see ,can't figure out how to load pictures here and have given up.My go to round in Ohio is Hornady 26 gr superformance @4400 fps,out to 300 yards,most shots are 200 or less it flattensem. You'll love the 204,it's laser.

I bought a 204 tc venture predator 204. It came with several boxes of HSM 35gr and 40gr Berger ammo. Federal 32gr nosler bt Remington 40gr accu tip factory ammo. I reload . If I didnt reload I would shoot the HSM ammo. I hope they come out with the 36gr bking bullets. I shoot the 39gr bking and 35gr Berger mostly. But going to try some 40gr Berger soon.

The 40 berger will be perfect out to 350,I wouldn't push it beyond that,at that range the ft pounds is plenty and drop is about 16 inches,HSM makes it and the round has been a killer for me at the 300 yard mark,farthest taken in Ohio. And three football field is a poke. Most shots in Ohio are 200 or less.Long range shooters don't overlook a 32 grain v-max at 500 there's enough steam to anchor a coyote with about a 20 inch drop,plenty of ft pounds also.

Last edited:
Hi Ohiolongarm I bought another 204 ruger rifle. It came with 4 boxes HSM 35gr Berger 1.5 box of 40gr Berger . 1.5 federal 32gr nosler bt. 1 box Remington 40gr accu tip ammo. There still in box that they came in. I never will shoot the factory ammo. I like reloading for the 204. I had very good luck with the 35gr Berger. I may be better off shooting the 35gr Berger. I only have 3/4 box of 40gr Berger. I think I have enough 35gr to do a good while. I know if I didnt reload I would shoot HSM ammo. I picked up another pd of Tac yesterday to work up a few loads with the 40gr.

Back