223 bolt action rifle - prairie dogs

What are you looking to upgrade on a Rem 700? I'm a big Tikka guy, as they shoot right out of the box. Was doing load dev this weekend, with used T3, 20" 1:8, and was .5-.6 moa with 55gr Speer soft point and benchmark, as well as 69gr SMK and varget. What's not to like? This isn't unusual with the other T3s I own.

For a 223 bolt gun, the twist rate is important to consider as the ARs tend to come with fast twists that make them inherently more accurate with the heavy match bullets.

Too fast a twist rate and the smaller bullets might not shoot well but you can mitigate that by slowing them down a little.

Figure out what you want to shoot bullet wise and to what distance then the rifle part becomes clearer.

Rem 700s are super easy to customize. Savages are very accurate but fewer parts like triggers are available. Lots of barrel options though.

Want a rifle that just shoots. Tikkas are dreamy. Rugers and TCs are great values.

Research the twist rate and the bullets before you commit.

Last edited:
For the money. A Howa can't be beat! Have 3 in differnt calibers and all are very accurate. The last 2 came with adjustable triggers. Mine came set a 2.5 lbs. Left them at that. Rudy

Back