Were are the coyotes?

case-nh

I've had limited success lately. I've called in one pair that came in from a stand of trees 200 yards away and came in on a string to baby rabbit. Got one. I've heard them at times in the not to far distance but no takers to lone female howls or coyote puppies. Ambushed a couple walking in to stands but it's been real quite when I figure they would be real territorial. I've just started to assume they are staying very close to the dens except for the loner or one out hunting. I've driven around extensively and not even seen one. Any more experienced input would be great.

There is a 2nd pandemic going on called the "DU" syndrome. Unlike Coronavirus where 6ft away is suppose to be safe, coyotes that get within 400 yds of "DU" are doomed. "DU" has a near 100% mortality rate.

If you're driving around looking for coyote, you'll go through a lot of gasoline and if you do see one, you'll have to be quick getting that shot off, as they are like crows - they can sense a vehicle with a rifle in it and will act accordingly, some at warp speed.

Day hunting has been tough and is getting worse, so seeing 2 to 6 a day is what I would call an excellent day - I don't have many of those type days. Hope to get into night hunting for coyote this year with a thermal, should have better results but at what cost? Big money and butt freezing conditions???

Are they dead lol?
We've killed and recovered 73 since Oct yet we've killed more than we ever have in the daytime in the end of March through April. When we hit slow times I swear the population is knocked down but then we've killed more than normal this spring. Sometimes I think it's because we call more aggressively than we used to in the day after getting a lot of action at night and being able to learn what works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: weekender There is a 2nd pandemic going on called the "DU" syndrome. Unlike Coronavirus where 6ft away is suppose to be safe, coyotes that get within 400 yds of "DU" are doomed. "DU" has a near 100% mortality rate.

Ha ha! Very true.

Havent seen many around my neck of the woods lately either. Maybe one shows up near the bait pile every couple of weeks, and they arent "regulars"

Last edited:
Back