Coyote behavior question... bombed my decoy then wouldn't stop barking out of view

enchantor

First post and new coyote hunter. Thanks for having me.

I was on a stand in AZ the other day just before sunrise. I had a coyote charge in and run by my decoy. I could see it staring at it as it passed by and kinda give that "[beeep]?" look as it realized it wasn't a real rabbit.

It went out of view, actually passing behind me without ever seeing me. I don't know if it circled back out in front of me, or if it was a new coyote, but I started hearing a constant and very close barking. It was as if one was out by my decoy barking at it out of my view. Eventually a coyote appeared on a ridge behind my decoy and I whacked him.

Question: What does constant and close up barking indicate behavior-wise? I felt like it was calling for his buddies to either help him attack the decoy or he was warning them that it wasn't real. Maybe it's a guessing game, or maybe a constant conventional dog bark means something?

Appreciate yall's input.

There is the thing with a ‘warning bark’, where they know the gig is up(scent/whatever) and then do a short bark, continuously, to warn other coyotes. When I’ve seen(heard) this, the coyote is usually out of sight, 200+ yards away.

Once in IL it was almost dark & a coyote was barking at a much shorter distance. It was so crazy I really didn’t want to shoot, thinking it could be a dog, farmland. I didn’t fire a shot, I do believe it was a coyote.

If the coyote gets near the decoy, could easily smelled fresh human scent on it. The nose is such a tool for them, just like the family dog.

It's the highest compliment from a coyote and they want you to show yourself.
They may do it from several hundred yards and bark til it annoys you to the point of leaving.
Hopefully you can spot them to shoot and shut it up.

Originally Posted By: enchantorFirst post and new coyote hunter. Thanks for having me.

I was on a stand in AZ the other day just before sunrise. I had a coyote charge in and run by my decoy. I could see it staring at it as it passed by and kinda give that "[beeep]?" look as it realized it wasn't a real rabbit.

It went out of view, actually passing behind me without ever seeing me. I don't know if it circled back out in front of me, or if it was a new coyote, but I started hearing a constant and very close barking. It was as if one was out by my decoy barking at it out of my view. Eventually a coyote appeared on a ridge behind my decoy and I whacked him.

Question: What does constant and close up barking indicate behavior-wise? I felt like it was calling for his buddies to either help him attack the decoy or he was warning them that it wasn't real. Maybe it's a guessing game, or maybe a constant conventional dog bark means something?

Appreciate yall's input.

Busted! He knew something wasn’t quite right!

If a Coyote smells human, they usually don’t go out and bark! All I ever see is Coyote butthole;-)

Really appreciate the feedback. Sounds like it was a "you're busted" bark like you guys described. Short family dog style barks just out of view, maybe 100-200 yds out. Maybe it was his partner who skirted the ridge to get a better look that I was able to down. Shoulda listened to his buddy... Thanks again fellas.

Killed a particularly aggressive female last evening... actually called her in a little over a week ago, but I was back doored and couldn't get a shot. She barked constantly on the way in. I changed my approach and set up significantly and had her at 25 yards in just over 3 minutes.. heard her coming the whole way in....

Back