Zeiss Optics

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ô Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#3244323 - 05/13/20 02:36 PM Best Binocular around $500.00
D_Bell Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Eastern Washington
I am looking for suggestions for a pair of binos to use while hiking and hunting...

Any suggestions?

#3244325 - 05/13/20 03:04 PM Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 [Re: D_Bell]
gr8fuldoug Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: NY, USA
Take a look at the Athlon Crounus 8.5x42 or 10x42 on sale for $319.99

E2ES System- Edge 2 Edge Sharpness system: E2ES System is a field flattening system that produces sharper, clearer images all the way from one lens edge to the other

ED Glass- High definition glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes

ESP Dielectric Coating- Enhanced Spectral Prism Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.

Lightweight Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 35%

XPL Coating- Xtra Protective Layer coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches

Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction

BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.

Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.

Locking Diopter: Locking Diopter keeps the diopter adjustment knob from accidentally moving from the optimal setting

Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.

Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects

Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes

Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater

Argon Purged: Argon purging gives you better waterproofing and thermal stability

#3244518 - 05/15/20 11:16 PM Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 [Re: D_Bell]
DiRTY DOG Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: West
Nikon or Vortex 8x40, or 10x40 depending on terrain.

Edited by DiRTY DOG (05/15/20 11:17 PM)

#3245002 - 05/22/20 07:49 PM Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 [Re: DiRTY DOG]
22 Chuck Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Montmorency Co, MI
Go to ebay and get a good pair of Swift Sport kings-7x35-wide angles for less than $100.. May have to get a new case as they are about 40 yrs old and most cases are shot.

#3245030 - 05/23/20 01:12 AM Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 [Re: D_Bell]
pyscodog Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: okla
I have a pair of Nikon's, 10X50,6.5 Lookout IV. Great glass but they are on the heavy side.

Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution.

#3245074 - 05/23/20 07:13 PM Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 [Re: D_Bell]
crapshoot Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: Henderson,Nevada,USA
Buy once and cry once. Swarovski 10x42's.i got tired of buying binos and then being disappointed when i would look through swaros. I'd then buy a better pair than what i had and was then again disappointed when i would look through swaros. Wish i would have just bit the bullet the first time. Would have been better of and spent less.

Average response time for a 911 call is 10 min.
Average response time for a .45acp is 900FPS.

Remember, if you're not pissing off a liberal......You are one!
Ted Nugent

#3245092 - 05/24/20 07:43 AM Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 [Re: D_Bell]
muskrat30 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Wisconsin

I was gonna joke about using your scope as binoculars, but Iíll refrain. Yes I know about a tragic accident or two, then the hunter safety mentions.

I get by with some Nikon Monarch binocs, though itís mostly shorter range, Midwest distances.

#3245112 - 05/24/20 12:27 PM Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 [Re: D_Bell]
JoeyJ Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: North Dakota
If you want the "best" for that "wow" factor and pride of ownership, then you need to put out the money for Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss. If you want an excellent view but just a tad less than the Alpha's ability to do so, then the Kowa Genesis and Meopta will be somewhat less expensive on your wallet, but still expensive when compared to the rest of the field. The Kowa spotting scope, now those are top flight and priced accordingly and in my opinion, they are the BEST.

For most outdoorsmen, they have a hard time justifying paying big bucks for something they might use 5 to 10 days a year, when a much less expensive pair of binoculars will do what they need done relative to looking at objects a couple hundred yards away.

Serious hunters, guides, birders etc might have the perceived need for Alpha binoculars and will pay the price, which in many cases will last them for many years - for some, their lifetime.

Like crapshoot, I too purchased Bushnell then Steiner and after looking through a pair of Zeiss - well, I found a pair of used Zeiss FL 8X42 at a price I was comfortable with and that was that.

As you age the large binos such as 8X42, 10X50 etc - they seem bulky and heavy when walking several miles in rough terrain. If you like to take walks/hikes, use when outdoor concert going, camping, fishing, hunting (especially sitting in an elevated blind) - one should consider a "pocket" or compact binocular such as the Kowa Genesis 8X22 or 10x22, as they are small and light weight but will give outstanding perform in whatever arena you use them in. I also have the Kowa 10x22 and they are great and always at the ready in a pocket - no digging through a pack or having the bino strapped to my upper body, as to minimize floppy around.

You can obtain mighty fine binoculars for $500.00 - just don't expect "miracle views" from them. You do get what you pay for with optics but most wonder if that "wow" factor is worth an extra $1,500 or $2,000 extra from the bino cost they were contemplating - that's up to you.

Edited by JoeyJ (05/24/20 12:32 PM)

#3245117 - 05/24/20 01:19 PM Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 [Re: D_Bell]
nightcaller Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: UT
I'd recommend a used pair of kahles.

#3245122 - 05/24/20 03:27 PM Re: Best Binocular around $500.00 [Re: D_Bell]
pyscodog Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: okla
You could always spring for those "Tactical" ones you see advertised on TV that you can see for like 20 miles or so. You know the $19.95 buy one get one free and free shipping. Just pay separate handling fees. thumbup

Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution.

Moderator:  reb8600 

© 2000-2008 Predator Mastersô, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.