Any new builds?

AWS

Retired PM Staff
With the Corona virus shut down and a lot of folks sitting around at home anyone putting together some new rifles?

I started it before the shut down but have been getting it together and testing it while we've been quarantined. Well for me not really quarantined, the rifle ranges are closed but I'm surrounded by BLM land and my granddaughter and her husband bought me a portable shooting bench for Christmas. Who knew I would get so much uses out of it. I've got a little spot behind a mountain that is perfect for sighting in rifles, the mountain blocks the prevailing SW winds so I can go out most any morning. It is serious social distancing if you don't count jack rabbits.

So I had a Savage 10 action with a 6mm-204 barrel on it, with the little coyotes down here the 6mm is really overkill when saving pelts and the 222 Rem has been great. I have a AR in 20 Practical(Egg Shoot Gun)that I just haven't been able to cotton up to. Love the cartridge but the platform isn't quite my cup of tea but I'm trying(that's another story).

So I ordered a 20 Practical barrel for the Savage and it arrived after fur season so it's been a slower work in progress. Dies I already had plus a selection of bullets. I am going to go with 40gr NBT's for coyote hunting but am working up a load for 34gr Speer HP's if the 40's prove to be too much on coyotes. I already have sub .5 loads developed for the AR but I couldn't get the 39gr Speers with their large HP to feed without seating them really deep.

So what I have is a Sav. 10 action, factory stock shortened to youth length, it has proven to shoot very well with this stock with the barrel channel hogged out and the action bedded. 20" X-caliber medium heavy barrel, Meopta Artimes 1.5-6x40mm with German #1 reticle. Tuned trigger.

I'm looking forward to dropping the hammer on some coyotes this fall.

So what's everyone else doing.

Pics coming

I just received a 6mm creed sporter barrel from northland.
Short freebore, as i wanted to shoot lighter weight bullets.
Have some loads worked up using the sierra 85hpbt that i need to test.
Going to work up some with the sierra 75 hp also.
Oh this is on a savage model 11.

Since this started I've used it as an excuse to watch all the classifieds to start picking up parts for a 224 Valkyrie bolt action project. Stock and Action are inbound. Just need to order a barrel and magazine and I should have everything else to round out the project.

Building a .243 on a trued Remington SS action, precision ground heavy duty SS recoil lug, and a 20” threaded criterion (Remage) light varmint SS barrel for a dedicated suppressed predator rifle..

Trigger and stock update: I’m going with the TriggerTech Special and Magpul Hunter stock with the Magpul magwell mag kit.

Being that I don’t care about hides (bigger the hole the better), going to start with 75 & 87 grain V-Max

Last edited:
I'm looking at having a barrel made for my dpms g2 243. The factory barrel is fairly accurate but just isn't consistent so far, so thinking a 6 creed, or possibly 22-250 ai might be interesting.

No new rifles but have gotten back into the 1911 game again. I had a friend build me a light weight 1911 rail gun in .400 cor-bon, Which I might try and take a deer with it this fall. I also just bought my first higher end 1911, a LES BAER Premier II in .45ACP.

Ordered a 22 Nosler barrel to see what all the + and - comments are about. This is for a bolt gun, I don’t look at it in way as close to the 22-250 as some do. More in the ways of a short fat 222 mag+P.

Built a 6.5 Creedmoor on a Remington Model 7 trued action and Krieger barrel.

2839.jpg

Well... it WAS only ~60 days... not even enough time to get barrels made, let alone talk about getting a new stock made or getting through a queue line at the smith.

Didn't build due to the `Rona, but was finished during.
Rem 700 SA in 22-250 AI
Bartlein 7.7 twist finished at 20"
McM Game Warden in Woodland Spectre
Cerakoted in OD Green
47099181211_f485480959_b.jpg

Well I guess I just started one. I bought a used Remington ADL in 243 yesterday, ordered a CBI 243 Match with a 9 twist, 24" long Light Varmint w/barrel nut and recoil lug from Northland. Its going in a MagPul Hunter stock w/detachable mag. A little later I'll get a Gre-Tan shroud and firing pin assembly. Then either a trigger job or aftermarket trigger.

I have a Mesa precision stock fitted to a bighorn origin action, Hawkins bottom metal, leupoldvx5hd 3-15 windplex. Now I just need to order a barrel or decide what caliper I want to do it in. Been thinking 22creedmoor, 22-243ai my cousin has the reamer, or maybe a 25 creedmoor. I just can’t make my dam mind up. Plus I need to build up some extra funds. The Chrono shut down our jobs this summer so I have been laid off since the end of April. This whole ordeal sucks.

Originally Posted By: Jason50calI’m building a beater rifle on an old 98 mauser action with a Douglas 6mm Remington barrel.

I like this!

Picked up a new project rifle today. Firearms International Corp. action (Mauser) chambered in 6MM Ackley. Shilen barrel with a Timney trigger. Looks like it might be a Fajen stock. It was painted black so I spent the afternoon stripping the paint off and now working at getting the finish off. Its a lot tougher than the paint for sure. It looks to have some pretty nice wood under all that black paint. Came with Leupold bases and 30MM Leupold rings but no scope. RCBS dies and 93 fire formed pieces of Win brass and a bag of new 6MM Win brass. Its a long way from range time so I haven't even checked the barrel twist. Guessing maybe a 12.

I got 3 and a 4th on the way

1.)
300 Norma
Defiance deviant action
[beeep]’s canyon armoury 27” 1:9 twist barrel
Tt special
Manners t5a elite mini chassis
215’s @3150fps

2.)
25 creed
Terminus Zeus action
Ks 1:7 twist 26” medium Palma barrel
Krg whiskey 3 chassis
Tt diamond
Heathen brake
131 black jacks @2900fps

3.)
6creed
Kelbly atlas tac
Bartlein 1:7.5 twist medium Palma 27”
Mpa comp chassis
Tt diamond
Heathen brake
105 @ 3130 FPS

4.) on the way
22 vudoo trainer
20” mtu barrel
Have a aics 2.0 or McMillan htg waiting for it, debating on buying a bravo
Tt diamond

Also worked a new load for my 20 tactical (main coyote rig) with 35gr bergers to try this season. Put it in a new stock and got it shooting awesome. Also developed new load for my custom 260. Rem build and it’s printed really nice right now too!!

First fully custom rifle is on the way . Terminus Apollo action Bartlein 26" M24 bbl 6mm CreedMoor 7.5 twist Cadex Strike Nuke EVO stock and a Trigger Tech Diamond 2 stage trigger ,Ross 3 port 1" brake.

Back