Foxing Around

Kirsch

I typically pass on opportunities for red fox due to a combination of low numbers and a limited market. However, in recent years their population in my area has been on the rebound. I had about a 10 opportunities to harvest reds this winter, and let them all pass besides these 2. They came in late on the stands, so decided to pull the trigger, as coyotes weren't responding. Both fox were used for their pelts although my loads are not very fox friendly, as shown on the video. I debated calling it "Fox Explosions".

Yep, “Fox Explosions” is more like it. Fox are fragile. I have yet to find a fox friendly centerfire bullet.

.17 rem used to do a pretty good job with limited fur damage on fox. Also, we used to head shoot a lot of them with various centerfire rifles, and it wasn't horrible.

I have shot several, both red and gray with my CZ 527 .17 Remington with 25 gr. hornady HP’s. It was too much, but also I didn’t head shoot them. Maybe I should have backed off velocity. My pet load runs 3927 average, but my main purpose is for coyotes. I have yet to have that bullet exit a coyote. Never know when a fox might show up though.

Nice! I have a big one that's been roaming my back acres for last 2 years that has a nice paintbrush tail.. But I'll let him be as long as he leaves my chickens and ducks alone. He got pretty close to the pen one day and took a few .22lr off the bow.

Back