6.5 Grendel Upper?

Originally Posted By: cmateraI went 20" and I'm glad I did. Not a lot of recoil, but plenty enough muzzle blast from a 20".

First thing I did with my 243 AR is I removed my muzzle brake and installed and tread protector. There is no need to have a brake in AR imo. My little POF will make my ears bleed after a few shots without hearing protection. I took it coyote hunting a few years back and learned my lesson. I was miserable for a week. I won’t hunt or shoot ARs without plugs or electric muffs anymore. A brake is a marketing gimmick imo for someone that wants a “cool look” to impress their buddies...brakes are junk imo. There isn’t much difference in recoil with and without a brake on a 5.56. It’s all about the looks, hype, and wrecking your hearing and everyone around you. If my POF barrel wasn’t 14.5” and pinned it would have already been off. I just don’t want to apply for a short barrel permit. If it didn’t shoot .3” groups at 200 yards it would have been gone along time ago.

Last edited:

I have read in places that some are using CCI 450 mag primers in the Grendel. I have never used magnum in small rifles before. Is a magnum primer really needed for the Grendel? I have CCI 400’s.

Magnum primers are used in AR-15 because of the floating firing pin design. Thin cup primers like CCI 400 are more prone to slam fires or pierced primers. There is a .008” tolerance window on firing pin protrusion. If you get tolerance stacking or switch firing pins you can create problems in the AR-15.

The magnum small rifle primers and match primers like Remington 7 1/2 and BR4 primers have thicker cups. The CCI 41 primers are designed to work in the AR-15 as are Federal AR match small rifle primers.

The CCI 41 primer has the same cup thickness as CCI 450 primers.

I know of one load using the CCI 450 primer: AA2520.

Claimed reason being that they get more consistent ignition with that primer.

I've experimented with the load, got OK results but better with other combos in my rifle. I've also tried the same loads with regular primers and didn't have any problems, so I dunno

I have a 24" BCA 6.5 grendel upper. I love it... It's a cheap upper, so don't expect super fabulous results with it out of the box... I put 100+ rounds through mine just plinking before I started load development for it... in the little bit of developement I've done I'm under 3/4" groups at 100yards with 107tmks.... I also threw together a couple test batches with the 95 vmax and they shot right at 1" or just a hair bigger... I didn't really do any tweaking to the vmax tests because I really want to shoot the 107... all that being said, I'm VERY happy with the upper... I've never had a single issue with it. Period.

Andy, are you hunting with the 107’s or just punching paper? Just wondering if the bullet is a viable hunting bullet or not.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Andy, are you hunting with the 107’s or just punching paper? Just wondering if the bullet is a viable hunting bullet or not.

Defender ammo offers a 107 TSMK factory load, factory rep claims it's a pig killer even though they state it's not intended as a hunting round.

Last edited:
Back