Best Binocular around $500.00

Take a look at the Athlon Crounus 8.5x42 or 10x42 on sale for $319.99

E2ES System- Edge 2 Edge Sharpness system: E2ES System is a field flattening system that produces sharper, clearer images all the way from one lens edge to the other

ED Glass- High definition glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes

ESP Dielectric Coating- Enhanced Spectral Prism Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.

Lightweight Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 35%

XPL Coating- Xtra Protective Layer coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches

Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction

BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.

Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.

Locking Diopter: Locking Diopter keeps the diopter adjustment knob from accidentally moving from the optimal setting

Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.

Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects

Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes

Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater

Argon Purged: Argon purging gives you better waterproofing and thermal stability

Go to ebay and get a good pair of Swift Sport kings-7x35-wide angles for less than $100.. May have to get a new case as they are about 40 yrs old and most cases are shot.

Buy once and cry once. Swarovski 10x42's.i got tired of buying binos and then being disappointed when i would look through swaros. I'd then buy a better pair than what i had and was then again disappointed when i would look through swaros. Wish i would have just bit the bullet the first time. Would have been better of and spent less.

I was gonna joke about using your scope as binoculars, but I’ll refrain. Yes I know about a tragic accident or two, then the hunter safety mentions.

I get by with some Nikon Monarch binocs, though it’s mostly shorter range, Midwest distances.

If you want the "best" for that "wow" factor and pride of ownership, then you need to put out the money for Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss. If you want an excellent view but just a tad less than the Alpha's ability to do so, then the Kowa Genesis and Meopta will be somewhat less expensive on your wallet, but still expensive when compared to the rest of the field. The Kowa spotting scope, now those are top flight and priced accordingly and in my opinion, they are the BEST.

For most outdoorsmen, they have a hard time justifying paying big bucks for something they might use 5 to 10 days a year, when a much less expensive pair of binoculars will do what they need done relative to looking at objects a couple hundred yards away.

Serious hunters, guides, birders etc might have the perceived need for Alpha binoculars and will pay the price, which in many cases will last them for many years - for some, their lifetime.

Like crapshoot, I too purchased Bushnell then Steiner and after looking through a pair of Zeiss - well, I found a pair of used Zeiss FL 8X42 at a price I was comfortable with and that was that.

As you age the large binos such as 8X42, 10X50 etc - they seem bulky and heavy when walking several miles in rough terrain. If you like to take walks/hikes, use when outdoor concert going, camping, fishing, hunting (especially sitting in an elevated blind) - one should consider a "pocket" or compact binocular such as the Kowa Genesis 8X22 or 10x22, as they are small and light weight but will give outstanding perform in whatever arena you use them in. I also have the Kowa 10x22 and they are great and always at the ready in a pocket - no digging through a pack or having the bino strapped to my upper body, as to minimize floppy around.

You can obtain mighty fine binoculars for $500.00 - just don't expect "miracle views" from them. You do get what you pay for with optics but most wonder if that "wow" factor is worth an extra $1,500 or $2,000 extra from the bino cost they were contemplating - that's up to you.

Last edited:
You could always spring for those "Tactical" ones you see advertised on TV that you can see for like 20 miles or so. You know the $19.95 buy one get one free and free shipping. Just pay separate handling fees.
thumbup.gif

If you are sweep scanning open country you don't want a center focus bino, to slow and eye stain. Steiner m/m individual eye focus 50 yards to infinity. If looking through cover, probably want 8 minimum and a tripod mount and center focus. Spotting game requires true color transmission so you can pickup the visual cues of the target(game).

SPOTSTALK, I'm with you on the no-focus binocs for quickly scanning big country. I have cheap Bushnell 10x50 permafocus binocs I use to scan for coyote and mule deer. They work...pretty good actually, and I hate turning a wheel so I keep using them... Would I say "WOW" if I tried the Steiner, compared to the Bushnell??

Mine are from the mid 80's,rubber armor worn through from my thumbs. I have not looked through a new pair of the military-marine. I would like to think they are as good or better, but wish I had purchased 2 pair and left 1 new on the shelf. All I can say is most who have rode with me, wonder how I see game so well and Ask what binoculars I have. Mine are the 7x50. I have Sightron 8x42 hd binoculars for cover work(forest,broken woods, swamps and mountain terrain). Yes I would believe there would be wow factor between my Steiners and your Bushnell permafocus, especially after several hours of looking.

Last edited:
Thanks. With 3 buck tags this fall, and coyotes this winter, think I'll give em a try. Eyes ain't gettin younger...and of course it's good fun when ya spot game before your buddy lol

Back