P-dog bench

Originally Posted By: wickaCaldwell stable table, easy to add side pockets etc.

Yup. Been using one for years now. They're great.
If you get one I advise paying a few more bucks and getting the nylon bag as it makes it way easier to transport and keep all together.

Here are my low cost options. The 1st is a Husky ‘work bench’ from Home Depot, then a chair of your choice. Yes, a more sturdy chair, of the proper height, matched with rests of your liking.

My more used setup is a Browning ‘Strutter’, low sit, ‘turkey hunting’ chair. That is matched with shooting sticks, very mobile setup. It’s more stable with your back against a fence post.

As I learned from a gunsmith years ago, get away from the truck. That lower profile also helps the prairie return to normal sooner. Those edge pockets of dog town is where you want to explore, the ones with 8 doggies on one mound.

Well, since I'm an ole fart and really have lost interest in setting up a bench to shoot prairie dogs from, I'm going to give a tripod a try in the next couple of weeks.

What I did was to purchase an ACRA 8" rail, attached it to my AR, purchased a Slik Pro 700DX tripod, a Leofoto LH-55 ball head. It's a lot lighter than a table, very stable and portable.

I initially purchased the tripod setup for night hunting with a thermal scope, but so far, haven't purchased the thermal scope, so I'll put it to good use this spring and summer for prairie dogs. You can go with less expensive tripods and ball heads but the aforementioned setup is best for my perceived uses.

Back