Coon Calling - Help

Daman

Guys I am considering getting into coon calling and need some help. I have trapped coons with reasonable success and enjoy doing so but I like hunting and think this would add another thing for me.

What calls are you using? I’m fine with using a tube or mouth call. I don’t have a foxpro.

What gun are you using? I’m thinking 22 Mag rifle and/or a shotgun.

I will be calling a pine plantation, creek bottoms, and branches in south Alabama.

I am no expert at Coon Calling, i am sure many are here on this site, it may take some time for the experts to help you along the way.!

If i were to call Coons i would think that Coon Distress, Coon Fight or Coon Cries would probably work.

I would also think that Thermal at night would be a good option if legal in your State? From what i have seen, watery areas and old homesteads are where most Coons hangout.

Best of luck to you!

Originally Posted By: HellgateAbandoned derelict homesteads are callable during the daytime. There are several videos of daytime coon calling.

There you go:)

I've had the best luck calling them at night in Texas. In Oklahoma it's against the law so I call late in the evening here. Junk piles and old homesteads or anywhere near a creek or pond surrounded by good cover for them are good places to call.

Raccoon fight and raccoon in distress work good. I start out with raccoon in distress because sometimes the females are more timid and some males aren't looking for a fight but will still come in to see what the noise is all about. A .22mag using 40 or 45 grain hollowpoints,12 gauge and .223 have all done well for me. I've probably killed a few hundred with the .22mag. In my experience it does a lot better than the .17hmr on heavier bodied raccoons.

Thanks guys!

I’ll definitely be using a 22 Mag, either a 9422M or a 922M.

I have a Creek swamp as the northern boundary on my property and there is an old homestead place that has a highland pond too.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootBe ready to shoot moving targets, especially coming at you at close range. Let them get out of holes before shooting.

That's why I like a shotgun.

Whatever suits you. The shotgun with a factory full choke and a heavy field load of #4's inside 30 yards is raccoon poison. That .22 Magnum would work great too. It's just harder to hit them. Watch some videos and decide for yourself what would work best for you. Get out and get some experience and you'll figure it out.

Back