Dog food for coyote bait.

jnd

Can dog food be used for coyote bait also can something be added to increase smell to get them to find the bait.
Joe

Last edited:
Lot of guys have had good luck with dog food. Me, not so much. As already stated, the coons and possum have it vacuumed up the first night. Beaver, muskrat, and deer carcass are my go to for coyotes.

I've been using cheap dry dog food for about 10 years now with decent success. Always seem to have a few table scraps or bacon fat soaked paper towels to add to the mix. Have a steady supply of fox, coons, possums that come up each night and partake. I dont really mind because the critters that show up are my early warning system when a coyote is in the area as they run off or go straight up a tree. Plus I enjoy reviewing the game cameras overseeing the area each morning to not only take the dog for a walk but to monitor when the coyotes show up. When they do, I usually monitor for frequency and hopefully train them to come partake of a free meal before 11pm because I get sleepy after that. I need to find a local grill that will give me a steady supply of bacon grease that I can throw out there as they seem to like that. I toss out 3 or 4 reasonably large scoops of dry dog food nightly.

How would it work if used some canned dog or cat food, watered it down, then put that on ground, letting it soak it? The other animals could eat the pieces on ground, but the scent would remain. Sorta like the stuff they make for deer, that you actually stir into soil, makes the deer keep coming back, digging & licking the dirt. Or, just stop at local KFC or McDonalds for a bucket of old grease from the fryer.

I put dog food in a 5 gallon bucket deer feeder last year and had some success with it. Coons, foxes, buzzards and possums got a lot. But, occasionally a coyote died there.

How would it work if used some canned dog or cat food, watered it down, then put that on ground, letting it soak it? The other animals could eat the pieces on ground, but the scent would remain. Sorta like the stuff they make for deer, that you actually stir into soil, makes the deer keep coming back, digging & licking the dirt. Or, just stop at local KFC or McDonalds for a bucket of old grease from the fryer.

I think it works.

One thing I do to target coyotes specifically is use a 2 1/2 auger on a drill and drill holes 15 inches deep. Fill the hole with liquid bait then solid bait. It reduces loss from birds dramatically due to the need to dig to reach it. Coyotes are attracted to fresh digs and the liquid soaks in the dirt for a lasting effect.

New guy here long time hunter.
Saw a couple guys mentioned bacon grease. You can get Bacon Up at the grocery store. It is pure bacon grease in a small tub. It is shelf stable made for cooking like on a griddle. It is really strong bacon smell. Couple tablespoons would go a long way mixing it with dog food.
Just a idea.

When weather is below freezing, I have mixed meat scraps/bones and dog food and froze it in 5 gallon buckets of water. Can last days/weeks especially in cold weather with muskrat caresses mixed in.

I haven’t used dry dog food enough to know how it might work for me. My main bait is deer trimming from a local meat market. They process a lot of deer during the hunting season and they save all the scraps for me. I them cut the pieces up into something like 1” cubes and fill gallon freezer bags. I stock up and it lasts me sometimes as much as two seasons of baiting. And of course I use table scraps quite a lot. A couple family members also save scraps for me.

One thing I plan to try is a liquid skunk scent. I have noticed coyote activity shortly after I shot a skunk, this when it had been so slow for quite a while. Thought I would give it a try.

One thing I do to target coyotes specifically is use a 2 1/2 auger on a drill and drill holes 15 inches deep. Fill the hole with liquid bait then solid bait. It reduces loss from birds dramatically due to the need to dig to reach it. Coyotes are attracted to fresh digs and the liquid soaks in the dirt for a lasting effect.
I bought the auger last year and need to put it to work.

If you go around to local butchers and markets and inquire when pig butcher day is sometimes you can get a bucket or 2 of pig scraps (I used to bring my own garbage cans) and apparently coyotes love bacon because I could have any bait out with almost nothing coming and with one bucket of pig scraps it would be like I started the bait all over again.

Back