RANGER ARMS

I am really only a small caliber guy. I had a hard time finding the 243 and I want to keep it. I really want a 22-250 I saw one on gunsamerica 2 weeks ago and bid on it but they sent me back a message that said sale pending. I sent them a message everyday that said I would buy it if the sale fell through. I saw yesterday that it had been removed so I guess it sold. Thats really the only other cal I really want. I will still buy them when I find them though. I have only heard of 2 mannlichers since I started collecting them. One is still in Gainsville and the other is in Tyler TX. Most people that have them are sentimental to them and very seldom do they sell. I have several adds posted throughout the hunting forums on the internet letting people know I will buy or trade for their Rangers. So if I come across one that ill let you know.

Spoke with Rick and he said he would think about it he is going to a gun show tomorrow so he will see how bad he needs to sell it when he gets home. As for the 243 its not up for sale or trade. I have only seen 3 other 243s made by Ranger so I dont believe there were to many of them built.

Understand on the 243. Once you find a Ranger you like, it is hard to trade off.

I am interested in Rick's 308. Any other calibers you have you might want to trade?

I sent you a private message with my cell number if you want to talk Rangers.

Last edited:
Got a line on a Ranger mannlicher 7x57 in San Antionio if you are interested. Did you find out if your buddy wanted to sell or trade the 308?

Last edited:
Yes, he popped off a price that I could not resist so I bought it. I am going to go out and shoot it before I decide to sell it or not. Ill give you first dibs on it if I let it go. Whats the price on the mannlicher it would have to be a great deal for me. I have bought 5 guns in the past 8 days and I think my wife may shoot me with one of them if I come home with another.

Does he have any others he wants to trade or sell? I do have a few calibers to trade.

The seller is looking for $1200 for the Mannlicher. I think its a bit high.

I would be interested in the 308 if you decide to sell it. Did you have any other calibers you would think about trading or selling?

I just got off the phone with a guy who was one of 2 gunsmiths for Ranger when it opened the doors. He spent 4 years there at Ranger before he moved over to Omega years later with Homer K. Lots of good info on the factory and numbers / calibers /configs built.

Last edited:
He had several over the past yeas and I have all but one of them. The one I dont have I bought but gave to my dad one year so I figure one day ill get it back. As for the mannlicher it i sway over priced. There are a couple of guys in Gainsville that tell everyone that Rangers are worth over 1000.00 dollars and that not true. I have never payed that much for one and aint going to either. I am going to hold on to the ones I have and continue to buy the ones that are not way over priced so maby one day I can sell them all and retire, HA! I am on the mission for another 25 cal if you know where one is.

I know of a 270 Ranger for $600. You interested? I can send you pics and the guys e-mail.

Have you shot the 308 yet? What config is it? (mannlicher, Maple or Walnut stock?)

The 308 is a maple no I have not shot it yet I have worked late all week. I am off Friday so hopefully Ill get a chance then. and yes I would be interested in the 270 I have two but willing to get another if its in good shape. I would like to see some pics if avalible.

I have a 270 and do not need another. Send me your e-mail and I cand send you the pics and the guys e-mail address.

If you are looking for a 25 cal think about trading me the 308 for the 6.5 rem mag I have. ~same ballistics. 6.5 rem is ~26cal

Last edited:
HERE IS SOME INFO I FOUND

Your guns were made by Herman Koon, founder and owner of Ranger Arms in Gainesville, Texas.
Herman was a rifle maker in Gainesville, Texas in the early 1970's, and best known for the Texas Magnum rifles. He also incorporated & manufactured shotguns in Carrollton, Texas in 1978.

Herman Koon was the founder of Ranger Arms, Omega Arms, & Alpha Arms.

When Herman was a boy he always wanted a rifle but didn't have enough money to buy one...so he made one himself, which as it turns out, shot better than any rifle manufactured!
As legend has it, this is the reason why he opened his own business manufacturing firearms. He put only the best in his guns!

RANGER ARMS first started out on Commerce Street, then relocated out on E. Hwy 82. It was the first plant in Texas to have produced hunting rifles, and employed several workers. The building still stands today. Herman invented the new action (bolt-action) that is the feature of Ranger Arms. His guns were numbered, and the first two guns he manufactured were given to (#1) Governor John Connelly and (#2) Herb Klein of Dallas. He had also given one to John Wayne.

** Special Note: The design Homer decided to develop was for a bolt action rifle with a five round rotary magazine inside a solid receiver that utilized a two piece stock and an octagonal bolt that was jeweled on the flats and rode on the corners. The bolt has four locking lugs, allowing for a short 50* bolt throw and houses a firing pin powered by Bellville washers which give unprecedented lock time due to 1/8th inch travel of the firing pin. Dual safety system and exceptional accuracy blended to make the Omega III a rifle destined for fame.

Back