Cheap eyepiece mod for Leupold trackers

Scuba Dan

I recently bought a lto tracker for a budget scanner until I can afford a nice one . I hated holding it away from my face, and my near vision sucks. I bought a cheap Lcd viewfinder on Amazon for $28 which is intended to turn point and shoot cameras into viewfinder cameras. I d intended to design a 3d printed part to adapt it to the tracker, but luckily with my flip caps installed, it fits snuggly in place with no modifications required. All the buttons are still easily accessible. The nice thing is this has about a 3x magnification, so the picture is quite a bit bigger. I don't know if links are allowed, but this is the name of the viewfinder:

eCostConnection Elite Series 3.4x Magnification Adjustable Lock-In-Place LCD Viewfinder

Monstrum Rubberized Flip-Up Rifle Scope Lens Covers (37-42)

Hopefully this photo works. Not sure how to upload photos here.

url]

Originally Posted By: VanceInteresting setup, how well does it work? Can you record video with that?

It doesn't record video. The real advantage is being able to hold the thermal up to your eye and the additional zoom. It basically makes the native image about 1 to 1 with your eyes. If you can't afford an expensive thermal, if you can find one on on sale, it's better than nothing. I would only get the hd version.

Last edited:
Just seen your post and thought I'd share what I've pieced together for my Tracker HD... I bought this eye adapter on ebay for $50... I'll start by saying it is 100% a homemade adapter made from PVC and some kind of lens that screws together through it. My whole reasoning for getting it was so I could helmet mount it for scanning then flip it up to get on my rifle. I made a few small improvements to make it more solid but here's the "finished product"and it's working great for me
https://imgur.com/Zw0NJoE

https://imgur.com/70Q4lTh

How much zoom do you get with your setup? I would like something more like a 5 or 6x zoom, but couldn't find anything that I thought would work (at least not in my budget).

Gentlemen;
I bought a Leopold Tracker 2 for about 650 bucks, and hated it at first look. However when I learned how to use it I liked it OK. But when I found the U Tube that shows you how to convert it into a monocular, I love it. It allows you to use it on 1X power. Now that doesn't seem like what you are looking for, but it allows you to scan a very wide area without moving back and forth. If you see something interesting you can always zoom in. Using it like a monocular also stops the shining of light on your face that occurs without the modification.For that money, you just can't beat it.I was thinking of buying an expensive FLIR monocular with the silly assed 1200 bucks we are getting for coronovirus stimulus but when I compared the expensive models to the Leupold arrangement, I really can't justify it.

The more I learn my HD Tracker II the more I love it. For the price it's great kit! I think Phoenix Rising on YouTube has some good videos on the monocular conversion. I also hear that Leupold may be coming up with some options to add more versatility to it.

Ive got an HD 2 on the way along with the parts to convert shown by Phoenix Rising. I think ive come up with a pretty slick way to head mount...if it all works out I will post an update. Crossing fingers.

Okay....got everything in finally. (this will be pic heavy) I will have to say...the $20 mod using a scope cap and magnifier turns this thing into a whole new animal that has promise as an entry level head mountable scanner. I only have a few minutes behind it looking around the house, so we shall see how it performs once I get it outside. Head mounting will be easy peasy!

Here are all the parts I am using to head mount:
Circled in yellow - YiFeng 30X x 36mm Optics Loupes Magnifier Magnifying Glass Lens Portable for Jeweler Coins Stamps found on Amazon for $9.99.
Circled in purple - Yosoo Dustproof Scope Cover,5 Sizes (you need the 42mm size for this project) Hunting Scope Cover Dustproof Lens Cap Rifle Flip Open Optic Scope Sight Accessories - Found correct size from third party seller on Walmart.com - $9.80.
Circled in red - Parts from Caldwell Picatinny Rail Phone mount - had this in parts box but is approximately $30-$35.
Circled in green - Wilcox Dovetail - another part I had on hand - available through many NV retailers approximately $30-$35. Silver screw I used to mount was bought from Ace Hardware along with a lock nut.
Circled in blue - Picatinny Scope Mount 30mm - another part I had on hand, this was from a Wicked Hunting light package but can be found online in many places. Prices vary a bit. Boondockoutdoors sells the Wicked brand for $19.99.
084-D132-F-1349-498-A-A9-CB-AAAC936688-E2.jpg

Here are the parts lined up to turn into a proper monocular. You will need to cut off the flip open cover. I used a Dremel with cut off disc.
4-C995-C0-F-3-C1-C-4498-8-D5-E-A358882-E5-C81.jpg

Snap the magnifier into the end where the scope cover closed into. This part is a little stiff but it will snap together. You will hear it click together.
5-E448-B4-D-0553-4-C42-B5-BD-FB427-C6849-A9.jpg

Now push onto Tracker. Pushed all the way on was focused perfect for my eyes. You may need to slide back and forth a little to find focus...or get lucky like I did!
9-FE4-EEA4-94-EE-4964-AD1-D-19-E87847-A487.jpg

Magnifier spins freely and has a little wiggle in the scope cover so I gave it a few wraps of electrical tape. Nice and solid now.
8-B564-D55-DB59-4753-A45-D-5-C1-C589-A045-D.jpg

I will be back shortly with pics of it mounted using the parts circled in red, green and blue. Haven’t had a chance to get pics yet.

Now the head mount....

I ran into a little road block with my original idea to head mount. With the Wilcox dovetail mounted in my original location, it would not adjust far enough forward and was hitting my face. I needed to get the dovetail a little further back so I had some room for front/back adjustment. I found this bracket thing out in the garage with miscellaneous nuts and bolts. Dont know what it came from but im going to use it. I will need to drill a hole for dovetail and cut a little extra bit off the other side but it should work just fine.
7-F831-E52-D645-403-F-A875-C8-AB3-D628884.jpg

Hole drilled, dovetail mounted and extra bit cut off front.
9775-F518-3-F35-47-BB-9865-73-CAFD417284.jpg

Now attached and sitting further back. Should give me some adjustment room now.
2-B5-D08-FB-3-D1-A-49-F8-840-B-EA40-D8651-ABC.jpg

Attach the Picatinny scope rail to Tracker. Just enough clearance to not interfere with battery changes!
44521-D81-9-BD8-40-D8-9-C8-D-1-C470027546-C.jpg

Attach Caldwell adapter thing.
5-D3-ABFE0-A690-418-D-A807-00-D97584-F4-F1.jpg

Slide on to either side of cross bar. Can use on either eye and has plenty of pupillary adjustment. It is a friction type fit and will slide if you give it a medium/heavy push and will stay put without being locked down by a screw.
AFAD8432-38-DE-4-EAF-919-F-C7-DFF642-B35-E.jpg

Mounted and ready to go!
1-B82587-F-83-B5-4-A7-A-85-AB-53-E614030-B2-A.jpg

Front view. It would be possible to go dual Trackers if you really want to get nuts
thumbup.gif

B8-E8-ABC0-BAB5-4-A39-B5-D7-622-E369-DC9-C7.jpg

I will be back with my impressions after I get it out a few more times. Weather last night was 59 degrees with a light mist....horrible conditions for thermal but it did pretty good all things considered. More soon!

Back