More From the $79 DPMS Barrel

Bowhntr6pt

With the exception of the cold bore shot, three groups were just under an inch, the other just over. This time, 52gr SMK and Nosler 50gr BT. The rifle shoots good with minimal effort. With load tweaking I'm sure I can knock off 1/4 MOA... maybe.

So far, it likes everything I've fed it. Wish the barrels were not sold out.

I bought one too. Mine shoots much like yours. I have found a load it consistently shoots at .75-.8 inch at 100 yds. Mine will not stabilize 75gr BTHP bullets. It does shoot 55gr bullets extremely well.
I also bought the 20" stainless bull barrel w/target crown. It shoots really well for its $90.00 price tag. I believe it's 1-9 twist, 223 chamber. It will group with 75gr bullets although it too prefers lighter bullets. Last I looked they still had several of the 20" bulls in stock.
Every DPMS barrel that I have ever been around has shot most loads at or near MOA and will shoot sub-MOA with tailored hand loads. I also wish I had ordered a few more of the 79 dollar barrels.

Last edited:
I wish my a $ 40.00 Anderson barrel shot that good. Ha ha. Shoots 1 3/4 groups. My whole gun was only $382.00 year ago.
I don’t reload so I am in a tough spot. I put a free float hand guard on it this week and bought a box of these TUBBS brand lapping ammo at gun show for $20.00. Going to shoot it this week see if that does anything. If that does not work than a new barrel. I cannot complain. Some times you get a good cheap accurate gun sometimes you don’t. My Freind bought same gun week before me , his shoots 7/8 groups with black hills. Go figure. Ha ha

I had a 20" Model 1 Sales upper that shot well, well under 1/2 MOA with 50 grain Vmax and 25.5 grains of Benchmark. It got almost 3300 fps and shot 1/2" groups at 200 yards. It was my first ever AR15 and I thought they would all shoot like that.. So, I let it got for about 4 times what I had in it, when Obama got elected. From what I remember DPMS used mostly 9 twist barrels and they liked the lighter bullets really well, over 68 grains, not so much...

Originally Posted By: MPFDI had a 20" Model 1 Sales upper that shot well, well under 1/2 MOA with 50 grain Vmax and 25.5 grains of Benchmark. It got almost 3300 fps and shot 1/2" groups at 200 yards. It was my first ever AR15 and I thought they would all shoot like that.. So, I let it got for about 4 times what I had in it, when Obama got elected. From what I remember DPMS used mostly 9 twist barrels and they liked the lighter bullets really well, over 68 grains, not so much...

Speaking of Model 1 Sales, I have their 24-inch SS Bull Barrel, it also likes the same load.

Darn, I paid more for my X-caliber custom and it doesn't shoot twice as good. It does however shoot 1/2 inch at 100 yards with a Sierra #1365 and Varget. Shoots most stuff at 1/2 to 3/4 inch at 100 including factory. I'd say all who bought those got a great deal. Good chootin" !!

Back