Bca 350 legend sidecharge accuracy....very pleased

varminter .223

A few months ago I used up my no longer available bca points and purchased one if their 18" heavy barrel sidecharging 350 legend uppers. Accuracy wasn't great with Winchester fmj's nor were the other hornady 165s ( I think that what they were). Need I tried the 180 federals and they shot around 2". I finally found some deer season xp 150s at midway after they had been out of stock everywhere. Shooting with a 1-3x weaver it put 3 under an inch and 3 about 1.5" and after a scope adjustment it shot 2 just under 2" apart. I'm pretty pleased considering I had to stack 4 3/4 inch dots together to even be able to see them behind the crosshairs. Coupled with a bobsled and a pistol brace I will probably test it on a deer and maybe a coyote come November. I'm guessing this will be the rig my kids start deer hunting with. It is very tame on the bench with the 150's. It shoots as good as my dti 450 bushmaster but that thing kicks like a slug gun with hornady 250's. I have a bca 300 blk out that shoots around an inch with 110 vmax but cant see a reason to not have the extra energy and flatter trajectory of the legend given it's no more punishing on the shoulder or ears.

Last edited:
That’s not to bad of groups . I think it will shoot better after 100 rounds. There is different brands and weights of ammo coming out so keep testing if you can afford it. MD

I've tried 5 or 6 different types of ammo. I doubt I will find anything that shoots better than the deer season xp 150's. With the 3x scope I'm not sure I can hold it any better than it shoots. Putting 3 slugs that are only good to 200ish yards under an inch at 100 seems like a good stopping point.

Last edited:
My fault. I did not see that your gun shot 3 at 1 inch and 3 and 1 1/2 inch groups. That is excellent grouping. Mine is about the same. We can use the 350 legend in Iowa. I did not see you are from ILL. I was not sure you could use 350 legend in ILL yet. I am originally from ILL and buy a out of state ILL deer tag when I can afford it. I will need to get another ILL tag now. MD

Last edited:
The straight wall cartridge rifle bill was introduced last summer put still hasnt gone anywhere. However, if you put a pistol brace on it and use a bobsled it is then legal as a single shot pistol in the regular firearm season.

Last edited:
I'm glad you got a decent 350 upper. I traded for one locally and initially it shot 4-5" patterns not groups. We borescoped the barrel and it was the worst I've ever seen. LOTs of tool marks and it wasn't concentric.

Took 2 hours of lead lapping to get the barrel straightened out and shooting decent (not great). BCA has a horrible reputation for quality, my 1st hand experience with their upper confirmed that. I'll never own another BCA product.

I've had a lot of Bear Creek stuff and I've had really good luck with just about everything aside from a few damaged crowns. They have a really good return policy if you don't like what you got send it back and eventually you'll get a good one.

Back