Calling around bait ?

Is baiting an effective method for coyote hunting this time of year ? Can I call where I put two beavers out to try and keep the coyotes in the are . Any advice would be awesome . I prefer to call the coyotes , I just had two beavers I trapped for nuisance jobs and didn’t want to waste the chance .

During the summer months a coyote only needs a few mice/rodents a day to survive.
They are not all that interested in a dead pile. Most coyotes travel many miles in the winter months to a dead pile and the weather needs be cold for a prolonged amount of time.

A couple of Beaver carcass’s will be dragged off and you will probably never see the coyotes.

As far as calling around a dead pile? I usually steer clear, if they are acclimated to eating steak? Don’t throw them a hotdog.

Baiting will work anytime of year, but keep in mind that all kinds of food is becoming much more available now and there is less need for protein to stay warm.

Yes, you can call where you bait, and yes it can be effective. If they are hanging in the area, it doesn't take a lot calling to notify them another coyote is there. They won't like that and especially if they believe it is catching and killing their food supply.

Owen,

I don’t disagree. I know that one of my dead piles has absolutely nothing around it but cactus and 1/2” prairie grass for miles.
I do know that a number of the coyotes travel long distances to eat there.

Personally I chose not to call around there, nowhere to hide the vehicle etc..... As far as them hitting the dead pile? It slows down to nearly nothing being eaten on a nightly basis.

I wired the beavers down . I check one yesterday and it was destroyed . Pictures of one big what I believe is a male coming back multiple times a night to eat and I assume bring back food to the female and pups

You will find that coyotes are survivors and will eat just about anything to stay alive. During the summer when protein needs are reduced, they will eat fruit, vegetables, even dried corn, insects, frogs, and most anything that doesn't eat them first. When the pups leave the den and start learning to hunt sometime in July, they aren't very proficient at killing yet and depend on most anything including grass to keep alive.

Congrats on the beaver. I've never tried beaver, but have heard it is one of their favorite foods.

It seems to work great it was hit the night I put it out at one spot and the second spot it was hit the second night . Very quick in my experience with baiting

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpYou will find that coyotes are survivors and will eat just about anything to stay alive. During the summer when protein needs are reduced, they will eat fruit, vegetables, even dried corn, insects, frogs, and most anything that doesn't eat them first. When the pups leave the den and start learning to hunt sometime in July, they aren't very proficient at killing yet and depend on most anything including grass to keep alive.

Congrats on the beaver. I've never tried beaver, but have heard it is one of their favorite foods.

Yep!

If only i could get Lucky Duck to produce - Grasshopper in distress!!

Back