A quick successful morning hunt in the books

Seebass

Called in 5 coyotes on my first stand today!!

Facing south. I Started with Sore Female Howl and in 10 seconds I had a coyote 250 yards away standing on a ridge directly in front of me. No shot as a high miss would’ve gone for miles.

That coyote kept looking passed the caller and down wind. When I looked to my right I saw 2 coyotes coming my way from the northwest. They were swinging downwind as they approached and went behind a hill. With the other coyote still on the ridge I turned to where I thought one of the 2 might pop out over the rise. I was bit off as one spotted me and turned back before I had a chance. That pair continued behind me and off to the east.

With those 2 coyotes and the 1 still on the ridge, I started TT Den Raid at 5 minutes. Right away to the west 600+ yards out I see another pair locked in and coming in fast! They too begin to swing down wind with one checking up around 350 yards as the other continued in.

As the male closed he was getting into what I thought was my scent cone so around 225 yards I barked him to a stop broadside. DRT!

Untitled by seebass7400, on Flickr

An average sized male, but what was unique about this coyote was it had a mossy green tint to its coat.

That was a fun stand!!

Don't stop shooting.
Quote:An average sized male, but what was unique about this coyote was it had a mossy green tint to its coat.
A dog at branding looked like that after I watched it wallowing in fresh manure.

Thanks guys!

I’m really getting the itch to make on of my high elevation “Social Distancing” Sierra hunts! I’ve been pretty good about staying around my house but I’m about done with this nonsense. The weekend before memorial day is looking real nice right now.

thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: SeebassThanks guys!

I’m really getting the itch to make on of my high elevation “Social Distancing”

I am really used to that social distancing more than most people. My wife has been practicing that with me for a couple of decades now.

My wife started that about 10 years ago too. Told her that I was going to take the camper and go coyote hunting and she said "bye".

Congrats on a nice Yote Seebass. I live in the Pacific NW and my Black Lab wears a yellow tint this time of the years from the fir tree pollen. The green tint on your coyote could be an attempt at camouflage, trying to hide in the grass. Thanks for sharing.

Back