Which handheld

Nighttrain08

First post so hi all!

Anyways looking at getting foundation for night setup. Currently have pvs14 L3 w/p on team wendy. Have few lum/designators. Just purchased a mod armoury d-14. And also just aquired a really clean pvs12 4x aquila. Now looking for thermal handheld. I have the ability to run a breach sort of like a dual pvs14 setup with that d14 mount. Or I have an in to get the new AGM ASP TS35 for a discounted price. Not alot of data for those but some guys at shot seemed to be really impressed minus just internal battery thusfar. Anyways your thoughs on handhelds around that $2500 realm maybe I'm missing a gold nugget out there. I'd eventually like to get dedicated thermal scope but could get buy with just scanner for now. Just let me know your thoughts. Area currently stationed in eastern Washington so sage brush open country. But from southern IL. So alot of room to make longer shots in both areas.

I hope to test an AGM ASP in the future but haven't as of yet. If you want something helmet mounted in your price range, the Breach is about the only option. It should be decent but is a more close range thermal device.

I have put together a list of some of the main scanners for other forum members. If you want something that can be a scanner or weapon's sight, the Hogster is the hot item currently.

Big_Comp.jpg

Kirsh, I've had some time with pulsar. I've never had handson with the hogsters by bearing optics. How is customer support, updates etc. Pulsar seems to do a great job on firmware updates and warrenty repairs. Also comparing the 35mm sidd by side say an xm38 whats your thoughts. I understand 1k difference but just getting some opinions.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Nighttrain08Kirsh, I've had some time with pulsar. I've never had handson with the hogsters by bearing optics. How is customer support, updates etc. Pulsar seems to do a great job on firmware updates and warrenty repairs. Also comparing the 35mm sidd by side say an xm38 whats your thoughts. I understand 1k difference but just getting some opinions. We were talking about scanners and you are asking about the XM38. I can only assume you are talking about the Pulsar Thermion XM38, so it appears we have switched to talking about rifle scopes. That is one of the many awesome things about the Bering Optics Hogsters is they can do either very well. The Thermion's form isn't conducive to being a scanner, and at 4x base has very small Field of View.

To answer your questions, there has been very few firmware updates to the Hogsters. One of the reasons is it was tested heavily for a long time, so most of the issues were fixed before release. The Hogsters at this time need to be sent in for any firmware updates. The warranty is one year longer than Pulsars at 4 years. I haven't needed to use Customer Service because the Hogster has just worked. However, in speaking to them about other thermals, they answer the phone and are very helpful with questions, so am confident in their service.

I haven't used the Thermion XM38 personally but it is a very different scope in comparison to the Hogster 35. The Thermion XM38 has a 4x optical (base) mag vs 2x on the Hogster. The 4x makes it a longer range scope. Just by watching videos, I would anticipate the overall image of the Hogster to be better, but the XM38 should have a longer range for shooting and positive ID. I recently did a video comparison of the Helion XP38 which is known for it's strong video and the Hogster-R 35 and surprised lots of people by the results. The Hogster is pretty competitive with the Pulsar 640x480 scanner.

The asp 35 is decent, i have not been able to compare it side by side with any other scanners, just scopes( halo lr and prg mivro 35) i had the asp for a month to review from agm. I have pics through it, some video and did some time testing on battery fully charged with fully charged 5200mah stick.

It was a good tool for detecting dogs as well as finding down dogs with out the light show out in the field from head lamps or flash lights.

Not sure how to post all the pics and videos as i dont have a drop box, but can email them if you want to see them. cahallett@msn.com

1 video
2nd

Last edited:
Back