My Butt Hurts

Rustydust

From sitting at my Stable Table for hours today. Squirrels finally started coming out good and I took advantage of it. No wind at all early this morning made easy pickings with the .17 Hornet and the .221 Fireball. I even had a record run with the Furball and shot a whole box of 50 with not a miss. I will admit that only one shot was more than 150 yards but gee- just get them the cross hairs and pull the trigger and guts go flying. A few shots later then the cannibals come out and then shoot them and keep on going. There was a broken concrete block out at 450 yards and I shot at it with my .223 AI and hit it with the second shot. Then a dumb squirrel popped up a few feet away and since I now had the holdover I took a shot at him. I was just low but got him with the skip. A bit later a buddy started dragging him off so I took him out too. I later (I just had to try) got another right there with my .221 but will admit that took me a few shots to zero in on him but I did finally get him. Shot several close ones with my 62 year old S&W K-22. Missed a few too.
blush.gif
A great day.

Now I got guns to clean and body to wash. I will remember this day for a while I think.

Originally Posted By: RustydustI later (I just had to try) got another right there with my .221 but will admit that took me a few shots to zero in on him but I did finally get him.

Since when did 22 become a few?
tt2.gif
Glad you had a good day out there. You can come over and clean my guns when you're finished with yours.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: MatlockOriginally Posted By: RustydustI later (I just had to try) got another right there with my .221 but will admit that took me a few shots to zero in on him but I did finally get him.

Since when did 22 become a few?
tt2.gif
Glad you had a good day out there. You can come over and clean my guns when you're finished with yours.
laugh.gif

That's what I get for being honest with you. You always know how to ruin a good story by ratting me out. Out of the will again!

Heard it was pretty good shooting there abouts. I might be heading down there this year again but not sure. The guy that was letting us stay for free as long as we were shooting his squirrels had a stroke and is in a nursing home. That kinda sucks but nothing last forever.

Originally Posted By: RustydustHeard it was pretty good shooting there abouts. I might be heading down there this year again but not sure. The guy that was letting us stay for free as long as we were shooting his squirrels had a stroke and is in a nursing home. That kinda sucks but nothing last forever.
There is a farmer down there that lets me shoot for free. BUT he has a bunk house where
He'll let hunters stay overnight and provide 2 meals for $70 bucks. I've never done that yet.
On 4/20 I spoke to a ranch hand who said "In about a month the alfalfa will be too high,but even so there are squirrels running along the sides.Also after the CUT the squirrels remain and are out all summer".Myself 5-6 hours of shooting in one day is enough for me. Also it seams like more squirrels pop up in the afternoon .... Another strange thing is not all the fields are loaded up with squirrels ?

Originally Posted By: Rustydust A few shots later then the cannibals come out and then shoot them and keep on going.

Wow, so considerate...Serving up hot lunch for the squirrels.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: D_BellOriginally Posted By: Rustydust A few shots later then the cannibals come out and then shoot them and keep on going.

thumbup.gif

I dont know what it is about those critters but as just as soon as you open a couple of them up and scatter a few guts about their companions will do just about anything to get their fair share of them. And that, of course, just makes the shooting even better.

Originally Posted By: D_BellOriginally Posted By: Rustydust A few shots later then the cannibals come out and then shoot them and keep on going.

thumbup.gif

About 20 years ago, was the first time I saw it. I couldn't believe it, but it make for easier targets.

Sounds like a great day Russ. On a side note my shooting buddy bought the seat cushion that is made for a drummer stool and says it's the cats meow.

Got invited by a friend to go on a rockchuck shoot at his cousins ranch (private ground) last Tuesday. We got 81 chucks with 240 rounds; longest kill was 910 yds. These chucks were huge from eating all the alfalfa but what I witnessed was the same cannibalization that the squeaks do... that was a new one for me.

It was one heck of a fun day. Hope we get another invite next year; landowner even came out and watched a couple 600-700 yd kills; he was giggling like a little girl !

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrSounds like a great day Russ. On a side note my shooting buddy bought the seat cushion that is made for a drummer stool and says it's the cats meow.

Great idea! But will the drum set be able to fit in the back of my truck?

tt2.gif

Had a good run myself this year in Eastern Montana on a couple ranch's thinning out the pasture poodles. Used only the 17 HMR and nothing over 100 yds and never got out of the drivers seat. Got close to 400 of them in 2 days. Was a banner year for them and the best I've ever done. Will be going back in Oct for hunting season and will spend a day thinning the population again. Another rancher says to stop by as they are over loaded with them this year.

Back