Trying one more time

igor

url]
last night

Originally Posted By: Ernest49Face Plant ???? The google translator cannot translate into Italian .... What does it mean? It is a slang term for putting their face in the dirt.

My son called me Friday and told me I had to get out to one of the circles he was planting peanuts on. Said he had a pig, probably just a single one, that was dealing him misery. It was getting in the rows just going straight down them eating the new seed. He had to replant several areas just from a single nights damage.

My XQ50 that won't hold zero didn't go back in the mail Friday as expected, I am still waiting on a shipping label. So I opened the box back up and took it out to use as a scanner. I had my old Photon 6.5x50 L digital night vision on an older 6.5 Grendel upper to shoot with. I waited in the high rack in the back of my pickup for the pig to come in. She showed up about 11:30 pm. I saw her cut across the field about 350 yards out, but she went behind a hump in the field.

I grabbed my tripod, slung the AR on my chest, and used the XQ50 to stalk her. BTW, the rangefinder was really handy using the XQ50 as a scanner. A scanner with built in rangefinder would be great for guys doing this on a regular basis. I just stalked up until I was within 100 yards of her. I that point I slipped the thermal into my fanny pack and put my rifle up on the tripod. Turned on the old Photon with illuminator and shot her. 90 TNT behind the ear dropped her like a rock.

Heart girth measurement on her was 44", which puts her in that 240 lb range. She may have actually touched 250, she was really fat. Probably was about due to drop a litter of pigs.

I'm no good at getting the image posted in the thread, y'all will have to click on it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/129683.jpg

Hey, that’s a good way to do it, JT. Sorry to hear of the woes with the scope. Seems to be pretty common.

Question: Are the TNT’s very fragile? Have you tried them on coyotes?

The TNTs do open fast. It is a new load for me and I haven't shot any coyotes with it yet. I swapped because the 100 ELDM was just shooting through coyotes and not expanding fast enough. Supposedly the TNT works pretty good on pigs too, but 1 pig is not a solid test by any means. That pig was the only thing I have shot with them so far.

I use TNTs for coyotes. Most of the time, they are fur friendly, but sometimes they make an impressive hole. The last coyote I shot was about 80 yards away, facing me. No exit. When I picked him up, it sounded like a bucket of water sloshing around.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX
A scanner with built in rangefinder would be great for guys doing this on a regular basis.

I've been saying this for a while. If someone would come out with a thermal scanner that had a range finder, they would sell a lot of them.

My son just called, I gotta go back. A sounder of pigs has found the field. He says they wiped out most of the NW quarter of the circle last night. Hopefully I won't get rained out. Looks like I need make a call and get a friend or two to come along and get some extra guns on it.

Wow!! Those hogs can do a lot of damage in a short time, destructive and costly. Wishing you well on the next hunt, JT.

Back