Hunting on small properties, is it worth it?

DKG

My uncle's girlfriend has problems with wiley coming very close to the house at night and asked me to hunt them this season. Only problem is she has a very small property consisting of 15 acres, the properties on either side are owned by her ex husband's family so hunting that is out of the question. Is it worth it for me to even bother trying to call and shoot on a property this small? It is also very heavily wooded so a shotgun or even my .22 magnum will have to be used (I know that the rimfire is somewhat of a touchy subject, but it shoots the federal 50gr into 10 shot nickle sized groups at 50 yards)

I wouldn't travel a long ways to just make one coyote calling stand on 15 acres. If it is close by and easy to get to, use a shotgun and give it a try.

Make sure the wind is in your favor when you do call there. Will you be using hand calls or a e-caller?

I have both an e-caller and some hand calls. It's only about 15 minutes from my front door to her's so it is worth the drive. The property has never been hunted for any animal, so I do have that in my favor.

This season We only got 5 coyotes . Surprisingly three of them came from situations like yours. People having issues with coyotes on small chunks of land . Two of the spots I couldn’t even get the proper distance away from the neighboring houses so I drew up a consent form and knocked on neighbors doors. Once I spoke with the neighbors they all signed it with very little hesitation , most of them had same complaints of coyotes harassing their domestics as well.

The latest one was This past Tuesday night. Small 5 acre lot, owner called the day before and asked me to take care of the issue of his cats coming up missing. We set up and got a small male the next night at his place.

The owner was extremely happy, called two of his buddy’s and got us two new places to hunt . So it’s always worth it to try it in my opinion . [img:left]https://ibb.co/4PxXQQ4[/img]

Originally Posted By: Shooter222This season We only got 5 coyotes . Surprisingly three of them came from situations like yours. People having issues with coyotes on small chunks of land . Two of the spots I couldn’t even get the proper distance away from the neighboring houses so I drew up a consent form and knocked on neighbors doors. Once I spoke with the neighbors they all signed it with very little hesitation , most of them had same complaints of coyotes harassing their domestics as well.

The latest one was This past Tuesday night. Small 5 acre lot, owner called the day before and asked me to take care of the issue of his cats coming up missing. We set up and got a small male the next night at his place.

The owner was extremely happy, called two of his buddy’s and got us two new places to hunt . So it’s always worth it to try it in my opinion . [img:left]https://ibb.co/4PxXQQ4[/img]

Using BBcode

If the coyote only show up at night, how late gives you an idea how close they are during the day. Activity 2 or more hours after dark usually means they have traveled a mile or more from daytime area in my area. Calling during daylight would be a waste of time then. On small property bait and a game cam can really help.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootIf the coyote only show up at night, how late gives you an idea how close they are during the day. Activity 2 or more hours after dark usually means they have traveled a mile or more from daytime area in my area. Calling during daylight would be a waste of time then. On small property bait and a game cam can really help.

They have been seen in the area during the day by multiple people. Sadly I have to wait until october 1st (yes, NY has a closed season on them) to do anything about it, so that may change.

Yes it's worth it. If there's coyotes you have a chance to harvest one. I hunt a 16 acre parcel that is good for 3 per season if I shoot straight. Last year I called in a pack of 6 or 7 at once. Crazy. Most of my local stuff is 60 acres maximum but productive since I'm their sole predator. Good luck and let us know how you do. Oh, wind is critical. Only hunt it if everything is perfect for the property!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DKGMy uncle's girlfriend has problems with wiley coming very close to the house at night and asked me to hunt them this season. Only problem is she has a very small property consisting of 15 acres, the properties on either side are owned by her ex husband's family so hunting that is out of the question. Is it worth it for me to even bother trying to call and shoot on a property this small? It is also very heavily wooded so a shotgun or even my .22 magnum will have to be used (I know that the rimfire is somewhat of a touchy subject, but it shoots the federal 50gr into 10 shot nickle sized groups at 50 yards)

Heck ya it's worth it!!!!...Nothing wrong with a 15 acre piece...not sure where people get the misconception you need big properties and big fields to call in and kill coyotes
smile.gif

...here in NW PA..we hunt(strictly night hunting) many "small lots"...sub 5 acres. We have called and killed them in 2 acre back yards standing behind the landowners garage..We have even set-up on garage roofs and killed them. [ In PA..you can hunt in a "Safety Zone"(150 yards of occupied structure) if you have permission from landowners ]

...We've called and killed them on the "fringes" of sub-divisions..

..we look at every opening, field, right-of-way, back yard big enough to get a coyote in the open to kill it safely when looking for properties..

..as far as weapon..nothing wrong with a 22 mag if you keep your yardage in check and you make a calm, precision shot....

Last edited:
Once the crops are out,in my area, the only reason a coyote will cross a road during daylight is if it is being chased/shot at or it's the first 10 days of February and coyote is searching for a mate.

Quote: We have even set-up on garage roofs and killed them

I've been thinking about doing a set up like that as well. Higher elevation extends kill zones and distances quite a bit

Originally Posted By: crazyyoteOh, wind is critical. Only hunt it if everything is perfect for the property!!

Please re-read that.

When you hunt it, hunt the edges bordering the neighbors land and try to call them to your side of the fence. I have been known to not wait if the shot presented itself, but, to each his own.

I use very low volume, even mouse squeaks, to hunt small properties. I am trying to kill the coyote that was close first, then I can turn up the volume a bit to reach out further.

If I blast the volume, I might have 2-3 coyotes coming in, from different distances and different directions, and then I get 1, but have educated the others.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.Originally Posted By: crazyyoteOh, wind is critical. Only hunt it if everything is perfect for the property!!

Please re-read that.

When you hunt it, hunt the edges bordering the neighbors land and try to call them to your side of the fence. I have been known to not wait if the shot presented itself, but, to each his own.

I use very low volume, even mouse squeaks, to hunt small properties. I am trying to kill the coyote that was close first, then I can turn up the volume a bit to reach out further.

If I blast the volume, I might have 2-3 coyotes coming in, from different distances and different directions, and then I get 1, but have educated the others.

Thank you very much.

One thought each edge of your property is an edge of someone else's property. So your 15 acres is actually a lot larger. I rarely bother with private land, if the land looks that good I can usually find public land that is close, if not it is a coyote restock area for me. Between state, BLM, BLR, ACoE, school lands, WMA, Game Production areas, National Grasslands, National Forests, State forest and the list goes on, you just have to know how to find them. Some states even allow hunting in parts of state parks. Plus you can access roadless non-motorised areas with a bike, canoe, skis and snowshoes, I've killed preds, deer and ducks off of all of them.

Originally Posted By: AWSOne thought each edge of your property is an edge of someone else's property. So your 15 acres is actually a lot larger. I rarely bother with private land, if the land looks that good I can usually find public land that is close, if not it is a coyote restock area for me. Between state, BLM, BLR, ACoE, school lands, WMA, Game Production areas, National Grasslands, National Forests, State forest and the list goes on, you just have to know how to find them. Some states even allow hunting in parts of state parks. Plus you can access roadless non-motorised areas with a bike, canoe, skis and snowshoes, I've killed preds, deer and ducks off of all of them.

Unfortunately, there it's all private land in that area. Otherwise I would thin the area by hunting public land (honestly, I would rather go that route). I have tried a couple of times to get permission to hunt neighboring properties, but being that it is owned by her ex husband's family as soon as I mention who I am, they don't want me to go anywhere near it.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisWhat he is saying you should have 4 corners to hunt.

Call them off of the Private you cannot step foot on.

I misunderstood. Thank you for clarifying

Back