204 barrel chop or leave?

Heymartay

Picked up a ds arms 204 upper with a 24 inch I would call bull barrel. Would taking an inch or two off make a difference in performance or weight? How much would it cost to cut and recrown?Gonna put a Hogster 35 on it when it gets here, so I can shoot the long second shot like Kirsch.

In my neck of the woods to cut and re crown and thread a barrel is around 150.00.You will loose 50 to 75ft in velocity .I would keep your 24 in bull and purchase a second barrel of your likings.

Originally Posted By: lowholer1In my neck of the woods to cut and re crown and thread a barrel is around 150.00.You will loose 50 to 75ft in velocity .I would keep your 24 in bull and purchase a second barrel of your likings.

+1

I don't think cutting an inch off a 24 inch barrel will be worth the cost of doing it. You might loose a little velocity but doubt that much. IMO not worth the cost and very little gained if anything.

It’s not going to remove any noticeable weight and by doing so your loosing velocity. The whole reason the cartridge was designed for. Sell it and buy something you like instead of wasting your money on it. You can buy a brand new replacement barrel for the same price as cutting and crowning.

Last edited:
Back