New load

AWS

Retired PM Staff
A few weeks ago I posted that I had bought a bunch of 45gr Speer SP's and wanted to build a foraging load, got it done.

I loaded them in my little Sako L-461 Mannlicher 222 Rem over 8gr of 800X (loads from the James Calhoun site) they are much like Blue Dot loads quiet and very accurate. They should be perfect for jacks, fox, cats, and coon, I wouldn't hesitate to use them on close in coyotes also.

They hit about 1 1/2" lower than my main hunting loads (52gr Speer HP) so I can leave the rifle sighted 1 1/2" high at 100 with the hunting load and it is dead on with the forage load.

Love it when a plan comes together.

I use 800x for sub loads in my 5.6x50R and 222 Rem with 33 gr bullets for finisher loads and in my 25-204 with cast bullets for small game loads. It is also my goto powder for 12ga Predator loads for my combo guns.

Those reduced loads that shoot within an inch or so of full power loads really get you hooked!!

I ve done 800X and Blue Dot and decided to stick with BD as it measures much more easily/consistent. ( load mine on a Dillon with a Lee neck Collet; no lube, no fuss or muss.

BD will require a grain or two more than 800X for the same pressure. That said it ll give you more velvet city. Sub MOA accuracy too. You found a winner!

I have an old unmarked black powder measure with two drums in it, rifle and pistol, you have to adjust the measure with a small screwdriver thru a small hole in the top. I believe it is an early RCBS. The pistol drum drops 8grs very accurately but I still weigh every load, most of the time I don't have to add or subtract anything, it is just about maxed out at 8grs, I used to load 10grs in my 41 mag but had to do two 5gr dumps.

Last edited:
Back