Solar and lunar tables and hunting forecasts for varmints

Matlock

I'm just curious if anyone else has used apps or solar/lunar tables that post major and minor times for a given location? If so, have you found them to be at all accurate in predicting good vs. bad days or general animal activity? I'm specifically interested in how this applies to varmints such as ground squirrels or prairie dogs, not coyotes.

Get a hold of Darren, he has one on his iphone that is pretty dang accurate for varmints. I wish they made it for android but they don't

Thanks Kent! I do remember Darren and I talking about this at the PM convention a couple years back, and that he had found it to be helpful. I was hoping to poll the audience to see if I could get anyone else's feedback.

I've played with the solar/lunar tables for awhile. Didn't seem to make much difference in my success one way or another. There is some thing to it, but, apparently is beyond my ability to understand.

NRA Benefactor

I think general weather is the key. That means how much sun, hopefully lighter wind for shooting. Then let’s factor in time of the year. The mounds can get more crowded once the pups are up & about.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We've had some stellar days over the last week plus where the app said it wouldn't be good as well as some days where it said it would be great and it wasn't. So as many have said, I believe there is certainly more to it. Seems like weather and location being the biggest factors. Like Smokin Pole said, if there is something to it, understanding it is beyond me. I'll just keep using this as another tool that may help and not bible verse.

Back