Loading larger shot sizes.

masshunter

In weighing charges of BB for I sometimes find I can't come up with exactly 1oz or 11/8 oz and the difference is just one pellet. I usually add smaller lead to get it up near the exact weight. Am I over thinking it ? I started roll crimping both 23/4 and 21/2 shells and find I have to use a blackeyed pea or two as fillers. Can I use low pressure 23/4 data in 21/2 inch cases? It seems to fit. I found an antique 16 ga roll crimp tool marked
"ACME" and just have to use it to make "wiley coyote" loads. Thanks

Im no shotgun load savvant, but I think you're overthinking it. Shell loaders don't weigh shot, they measure by the volume of shot. You pick the volume you use by checking weights thrown by different bushings(?).

Does your load data say to roll crimp? Shotgun load data is usually very picky about what you need to put in the case to get the correct fill. Most of the time the filler is at the bottom of the shot column if needed. It sounds to me like you need to find a load that is actually what you want instead of trying to change a load to fit your needs.

A shotgun recipe is to be followed completely. Hull, primer, powder, wad, shot, crimp, etc. All have to match in order for pressures to be correct.

Also, when you're loading large shot you load by number of shot, I use a primer tray with tape over the holes I dont need shot in. I wouldn't personally use that method for BB.

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89Also, when you're loading large shot you load by number of shot, I use a primer tray with tape over the holes I dont need shot in. I wouldn't personally use that method for BB.

I have heard of that, great idea for getting the proper number of big stuff.

Take all of this as from my experience and NOT FACT do at your own risk.

I load by weight and just err on the light side.

Roll crimping USUALLY produces less pressure than a star/fold crimp

Yes you have to follow recipes exactly to get published pressures. That said when you are working with loads in the 6-7000# area a single change in components(primer, wad, crimp) won't get you into serious overload territory in a modern firearm.

You can adjust the depth of your roll crimp to compensate for component height.

You can roll crimp low pressure 2 3/4" loads in a 2 1/2" case.

You can get loads tested if you are concerned that you are getting too high of pressure.

I shoot a lot of old 2 1/2" chambered shotguns and load all my own ammo. I have two Mec 600's set up for 12ga and 16ga 2 1/2" target loads and I roll crimp all my hunting loads.

1 oz NP BB's in 2 1/2" 16ga hull 94 year old 16ga drilling
ZhMLUp.jpg

PnIUhQ.jpg

mF8Jow.jpg

7/8 oz ITX shot in 2 1/2" 12ga hull 80 yr old 12ga Swedish sxs
KP88Nj.jpg

vLhYWI.jpg

Same load 60 yr old French sxs
gqwA0x.jpg

You get the idea, other than 2 3/4" low pressure coyote loads for my Combo guns (1 1/4oz NP BB's) all I load are 2 1/2" even for Sporting Clays and Skeet in my 12's and 16's even modern 2 3/4" guns.

Last edited:
I always weighed the big shot shot charges and load them a quarter to three quarter of a pellet light. Instead of loading to much weight.

The shotgun primer tray counting method works great on BB sized and bigger shot.
IMG_8231 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr

The above picture I used the primer tray to hold 86 BB HW13 pellets. Each primer hole in the tray holds two BB pellets. 86 HW13 BB pellets were right at one pellet light of being 1-7/8 oz of HW13 BB shot.

Sometimes loading bigger shot will raise the pressure of the load because there is not as much felt or cork wads under the shot because the bigger shot takes up more space.

If the load data calls for a 1/4" felt wad under 1-1/2 oz of shot and you use big shot that weighs 1-1/2 oz but you don't have the 1/4" felt wad under the shot the pressure may rise up a bunch.

Since the bigger shot, shot column is longer than the smaller shot column that weighs the same it raises the pressure because it is pushing a longer shot column. Without the felt wad cushioning the shot charge that will also raise the pressure.

If you need to fill space in a wad putting a felt or cork wad under the shot will lower the pressure. Putting a bean or two on top of the shot will raise the pressure. It may not raise the pressure much but you don't know unless you have the loads tested.

Last edited:
Thanks all. The NP BB I have been using seems to vary a bit 48-50 to an ounce, 55 or 56 to 11/8 ounce. I've killed 4 coyotes with my 2005 Krieghoff drilling using these loads,one needing a second shot. I want to try my pre WW1 Sauer drilling with the 21/2inch. I'm using data from Lyman #5 and one from the BP 16 ga manual. Staying under 8000PSI except for one Lyman load that shows 10.500 PSI with 11/4 ounce load. I'm trying to limit my components. I have three wads,Rem SP16, and two BP wads z16,and sporting 16, Federal and Fiocchi cases, 800x, Unique,longshot, and Universal that I bought but haven't tried yet. Everything I have read, and a call to BP suggests a roll crimp will not increase pressure. I was on hold forever with Lyman but will try them again. I prefer to roll crimp the 21/2 rather than changing anything on the press. Thanks again.

With that drilling you don't really need heavy 1 1/4 oz loads in a 16ga you always have the rifle barrel if you have to reach out a ways.

I use the BPI "Advantages" manual for my 1 oz 16ga loads.

Thanks. I had hoped the 16 ga manual would be it but I'll check out the Advantages manual. I found two one ounce and one 11/8 ounce that gave a good pattern out of seven loads. I want to pattern 11/4 loads just to know. Got quite a log book on the Krieghoff with loads for the 7x65R and the 222 inserts, and now some shotshell loads. Fun between seasons.

Masshunter
Very interesting!
Please post photos
What you and others posting here are doing will help us to prepare good working loads
Thanks!
Jim

I think I've settled on three loads, will know about the game loads when I get to the patterning board, and shoot a few rounds of trap and five stand. I keep promising myself to try posting pictures again, but my patience level is pretty low.

Back