When to move on to new area?

CoyoteSnitch

We have 1100 acres and had a guy trap during deer season and he got about 6 Yotes and in last 20 days we have called 6 in but we have went dry.. How many yotes do you expect to kill before hunts start coming up dry ?

It basically has to do with habitat and surrounding habitat or land use and terrain.
Example-I have one 5000 acre parcel to hunt, early season and breeding season may net 5-8 coyotes with maybe 2 spares.
I have another parcel that I hunt primarily 640 acres and have taken 28 coyotes in the last couple months. There are easily another 15 available.
One 40000 acre parcel I hunt perimeters and will never see the end.
I have more and they are all different for their own reasons.
I move if a coyote doesn't show 2 days in a row.

Originally Posted By: CoyoteSnitchWe have 1100 acres and had a guy trap during deer season and he got about 6 Yotes and in last 20 days we have called 6 in but we have went dry.. How many yotes do you expect to kill before hunts start coming up dry ?

Did you kill the 6 called in?

If so, 'new' coyotes should re-populate the area rapidly, unless coyotes in your area have pups in the den. Then it might take longer.

If you missed all 6, then they have been educated. Different tactics might be required.

Like Tripod, I once had a very small property, by Colorado standards, of 710 acres to hunt. It was, and probably still is, a coyote magnet. I could kill 2-3 one day, go back in 2 weeks, and kill 2-3 more. Great coyote habitat, lots of food and cover. Nature abhors a vacuum.

Thanks K-22hornet,

Yes we killed all 6 and have upgraded to a lucky duck call which sounds amazing , but on this piece of property we have now came up dry 3 times out which would be about 9 different sets . But we went to a new property and pay dirt the first set.... Thanks for your input !!

I found a new area a few years ago, killed 14 in two weekends. The area is about 10 miles north to south and about 2 miles wide on average.
Went back the next year and killed 11 more in the same area, but there were clearly not as many animals.
Went back year 3, killed 6. Definitely not as much sign or animals.
Went back year 4 killed 3. Very little sign, no howling at night
Went back year 5 killed 1. Missed 1, saw no other coyotes anywhere near. Not on the private land I couldn't hunt, and not on the public land I did hunt.
I know other people hunt this area as well, how many did they kill? I ran numbers in my head while out hunting one day, with just the number I killed, I put a serious hurt on the population. Add in the other hunters and my conclusion was that hunting had all but wiped out the population. In the non-farming west, high desert, population density is not high. Maybe around 2 coyotes per square mile, doesn't take long to clean out an area.
But, give it a couple years and it will be right back where it was.

Coyotesnitch,

Even the 'honey hole' I had, would leave me empty handed once in awhile. One day, nothing, a week later, it produced 3. Some days are like that.

Hey 6724, where is that spot you speak of? I'll go out and try it for you, and I'll give you a report, honest Injun!

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshoot2 coyote per square mile= 72 in a township(6x6 miles) no way we have that type of population.

On that 1 square mile I mentioned, it had 3 pairs on it almost all the time, the short term exception was when I killed some. One pair on the NE corner, one pair on the SE and one pair on the SW.

Coyotes are somewhat like fish. For example, that one spot in the lake/stream that you usually catch a good fish. If you keep that fish, another good fish will take that spot.

If you call in a coyote, and he comes in from a particular direction, and you kill him, chances are good that, if the wind conditions are similar, the next coyote will come in from the same direction, following the same 2 track or cow path.

I'm living a great area, each time I go out I try to hunt a new area. I put a thousand miles on the bike hunting this winter and had to take over a month off for a bad ankle. During this lockdown my wife and I have been doing social distancing looking at new areas. Yesterday we drove about seventy miles west and explored some ground I haven't been to before and could spend a week there and never call the same stand twice. I have an Atlas & Gazetteer for the whole state, BLM maps for the specific areas and a public lands chip for my truck GPS. I'll checkout the land by good roads to see if it looks interesting, later I'll go back and hit the backroads and two tracks and then do a little internet scouting to see what is on the other side of hills. I have an area that is about 100x200 miles with over 50% public land. I love hunting new ground and leave going back to an old spot for when I have a friend along and need to produce.

So when do I move on, tomorrow

I'm not a big numbers guy so after I've killed a coyote or two and skin them I start scouting. I just like to be out and learn everything I can about my hunting area. I'm retired now 11 yrs and can hunt as much as I want. Even when I was working I never just hunted a weekend and had to be where I knew I could find coyotes. I took week long hunting trips and covered a lot of ground learning as much as I could about the area. I do a lot of mixed hunts, birds in the morning coyotes in the afternoon. Ducks int he morning and then call the shorelines for preds.

Last edited:
^^^^^^Livin' the dream.
grin.gif
thumbup1.gif

Regards,
hm

Back