Comanche National Grasslands?

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Looking for info about the Grasslands south of Las Animas for a coyote hunt next fall, my daughter and grand daughter live in Pueblo and would like to head out that way and hunt coyotes and fish John Martin Res.

I have maps of the area and a public lands chip for CO.

PM comments if you don't want to tell the world.

Thanks
AWS

I can tell you from 1 experience I had down there!

It gets hit hard for Coyotes just like the Pawnee Natl Grasslands.

My suggestion - hit it early October.

be aware that early Oct. will have rifle antelope season, late Sept. has Muzzle loader antelope season. And some where before that is probably archery antelope season. And late Oct. and early Nov. will be rifle deer season.
I've hunted part of the grasslands the last couple of years and actually did alright. Just throw a dart at a map, there's coyotes in all of it.

If I recall, it is 330,000 acres in size, and some of it very, very remote.

Most of what I have seen of it, is good coyote country.

One thing is for sure, no matter how hard we callers hunt, we will never get them all, lol.

I will be hunting during the week if there is any thing open. I can fish the weekends at JM or Pueblo res. caught some nice walleyes, wipers and rainbows out of there.

Thanks for the info, any special rules I need to know about.

I think it's closer to 400,000+ acres and as far as I know, there aren't any special rules other than keep motorized vehicles on the two tracks and most camping is w/o need for permit, although there are places that are permit required for camping.
Some of the private ground that is intertwined in the grasslands is posted, but not all of it is, so need to pay attention to that so ya don't end up on the wrong side of the fence.

AWS,
When you take your Motorcycle on a Coyote hunt do you lay it down or cover it up with a camo net?

I have had thoughts about an electric bike, but at $4,000 i will pass.

Note - don’t go off the established trails on Comanche, we took a two track once, their was no signage and a Ranger was sitting at our truck when we came back from a stand. He gave us the business!

I would say the Comanche Grasslands is very well maintained and taken care of by the Forest Service, the Pawnee on the other hand looks like a slum.

Looking to visit the Comanchee grasslands. Can anyone give me any info on the place. I'm figuring it probably gets called alot so there is alot of pressured yotes in the area. Any pointers would help. Planing on going on a hunt there February 2022. Thanks.

AWS and AlexCaddell, I sent you both a PM with some waypoints attached. These are general areas and will be up to you to pick your stands but I am very familiar with these areas as I grew up on the ranch that held the leases. Look for the cattle in these areas. if you find cows, the coyotes won't be far off. Good luck, I hope it helps!

Last edited:
Back