Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?

Any of you guys/gals ever try crow hunting on a river? I live about 10 minutes away from one and have found it to be awesome shooting, there is a dump alongside the river and the crows come out in droves in the morning. Guess we average close to 40 a morning between the 2 of us. Good preseason shooting for me and preseason workout for my Lab.

It's been a couple of years, I would go down to my buddies 200 acre dairy before sunrise set up me ecaller.

When the crows started flying, it was like a war zone. I was shootin a case of shells aweek. For almost 2 years I was shootin 3 days aweek.

Our best day was 125 crows in 4 hours. We sniped a few off the tree tops with our heavy barrel 223's.

That area has been anexed by the city so shootin is a no no now. I was a great 3 years though.

I used to have a lot of fun with them on the ice. We ice fished a lot, and after cleaning the catch, I would place the offal at a pre-determined distance out the back door. All one need then do is wait. The crow carcasses then in turn attracted fox. I tell you those were the days...

Arizona is Sept. 1 to Dec 31, 2001 in the current F&G rule book. Take them with any legal weapon. General hunting license required. No bag limit, no possession limit. Certain areas of the state are closed though (the metro areas & refuges).

Doug

I was told by a conservation officer, that it was not legal to shoot any bird in Illinois with a rifle. I haven't really checked this out because I mostly go after them with a shotgun anyway.

I've noticed how crows will sit and feed on a deer carcass. I going to try my deer bow target with some crow dekes sitting on it and see what happens. It might be like decoying ducks.

Terry

I hunt crows in AR on occasion and I was wondering if any of you guys know what exactly "T" shot is? I've asked several people including two game wardens and nobody seems to know. I don't know how they plan on enforcing a law if the law enforcement officials don't even know what it is
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: Dan JohnsonNeed some info, guys, on which states allow you to shoot crows with a rifle. Any other input on the regulations that might affect this, such shooting near roads, etc. will be appreciated. Would also like to hear of your own crow sniping experiences.

Dan Johnson

In CT we can hunt with rifles. A migratory bird stamp is required ( $19). No shooting from or across a road

About a decade ago (when I could still see iron sight) I took a crow with my buddy's .22 Browning buckmark pistol. We were hanging drywall when we noticed a murder of crows harassing a juvenile bald eagle. My buddy missed his shot with a rifle.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Mn Sept 1-Oct 31,Dec 15-31,Jan 1-15,Mar 1-31( may also be taken when committing or about to do damage). All this because of a migratory agreement with Mexico, seems odd that we are not allowed to govern our border, but must protect black birds.

Back