New Priming Tool

arlaunch

My RCBS hand priming tool that i have been using for years is getting tired.

I have been looking around on Brownells and see another newer version exists. I have also read someplace that the Forster bench mount tool is also pretty good.

Anybody out there bought a newer priming tool lately?

Any opinions in general?

often, a cam will develop some wear on the RCBS and primers will not seat deep enough. Call RCBS.

I like the hand priming tools with a tray that will handle a 100 or more primers.

Originally Posted By: koomanI have the Frankford arsenal hand primer kit and I absolutely love it
Same here. My very old Lee priming tool got worn to the point
it would no longer fully seat primers. Reviews on their new
model were not good at all. So I decided to upgrade to the
Frankford model since it is adjustable for primer seating depth.
It's nice that it comes with 12 shell holders. Some may have
issue about the heavy weight but other than that, it's a great
tool.

Originally Posted By: masshunterI've been using my Lee for 30 years now, but will be watching to see what advice you get, it too is getting warn.

I have one Lee setup for small primers and one for large. About 10 years ago I bought two more to keep as spares for when the Lees break or wear out. They are still in the boxes they came in.

For no particular reason (except for possibly, timely volume reloading) i went with the RCBS universal hand priming tool from Brownells.

It showed up today. I am not going to bash RCBS, because i like the company, products and their customer service. I am a happy owner of many, many RCBS products

But this thing is going back to Brownells.

I cleaned and lubed my old model (like i should have done in the 1st place) and got it running tip top again.

There were 5 things i did not like. It was harder to squeeze, slower, the lid of the tray snaps in so hard it shakes up all the primers, when bottomed out i ran out of travel, i would have liked to squeeze just a little more, and last but far from least was.. that every 4th case went flying across the room.

I definitely like the case holder method better. (slides in easy, comes to stop with your eyes closed)

I tried the tool with 1x fired cases and brand new cases. Different primers and such also.

Aborted the mission, cleaned my old one up, then went back to try the new one again with the same results.

I think they have a term for that?

I am going to just order another "regular" RCBS hand priming tool just like the one i have. I really like the light weight feel, and easy to squeeze/low hand fatigue way it works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RustydustI have one Lee setup for small primers and one for large. About 10 years ago I bought two more to keep as spares for when the Lees break or wear out. They are still in the boxes they came in.

Did those you bought ten years ago still have the round primer
pan?

Originally Posted By: DannoBooneOriginally Posted By: RustydustI have one Lee setup for small primers and one for large. About 10 years ago I bought two more to keep as spares for when the Lees break or wear out. They are still in the boxes they came in.

Did those you bought ten years ago still have the round primer
pan?

Yes. But I just load them one primer at at time. That primer flipper pan seems bulky to me. I may be a bit of a klutz though.

I have two of the Lee's. One is the old style (round tray) and one is the newer version (triangle tray). I like the old style best but I've got use to the new one and it works OK. If you break anything on the old style your screwed as there are no replacement parts for them. That's why I have one of each.

Another vote for the Frankford. I jacked up my old Lee. My brother told me he really liked his Frankford, so I bought one. No regrets.

Back