10 gauge reloading

grinder67

Not sure how many shot shell reloaders on here but anyway. I am trying to start reloading for my 10 ga. so I bought a manual (mighty 10) and followed one of the loads and when I was done the shot column was about 1/8" to low for a good crimp. Not sure if this normal but what is the best way to fix this? filler wad in the bottom of shot cup(it is a sp 10 wad)? spacer below the shot cup?Or thicker overshot card?
Thanks in advance for any feedback

There are more than one way to fill that space but for me the one that seemed to work best for me was flax seed. It’s big enough it doesn’t migrate down into the shot like the powder fillers and light enough it doesn’t affect weight

Originally Posted By: parsonThere are more than one way to fill that space but for me the one that seemed to work best for me was flax seed. It’s big enough it doesn’t migrate down into the shot like the powder fillers and light enough it doesn’t affect weight

So you just add this to the shot charge to increase the volume to the height you want instead of a filler wad?

I would put a 1/8" felt or cork wad inside the shot cup under the shot. Having a little more cushion under the shot can lower the pressure of the load because when the shell is fired the shot will be cushioned during the set back.

For reloading heavy hunting shotgun shells you should have some 1/8" and 1/4" felt or cork wads to put under the shot to get the stack height were you want it. Many published data loads will need a little more or a little less filler wads to get the shot the correct height for crimping.

You may want to get some 16 ga 1/8" and 1/4" cork or felt wads and some thin 16 ga over shot card wads. I like putting a thin over shot card wad on top of the filler wads to keep the pellets from sticking in the cork or felt wads. The 16 ga wads should fit into your 10 ga plastic wads. I used 24 ga wads to put inside my 12 ga plastic wads.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI would put a 1/8" felt or cork wad inside the shot cup under the shot. Having a little more cushion under the shot can lower the pressure of the load because when the shell is fired the shot will be cushioned during the set back.

For reloading heavy hunting shotgun shells you should have some 1/8" and 1/4" felt or cork wads to put under the shot to get the stack height were you want it. Many published data loads will need a little more or a little less filler wads to get the shot the correct height for crimping.

You may want to get some 16 ga 1/8" and 1/4" cork or felt wads and some thin 16 ga over shot card wads. I like putting a thin over shot card wad on top of the filler wads to keep the pellets from sicking in the cork or felt wads. The 16 ga wads should fit into your 10 ga plastic wads. I used 24 ga wads to put inside my 12 ga plastic wads.

The manual says 12 gauge felt/cork wads should fit in the 10ga wad and 12 ga and 20 ga is all they had available for purchase, no 16 ga.Do you think the 20 would be a better choice? And thank you for taking the time to reply.

I think I would go with the 20 ga cork or felt wads. On some of the 12 ga plastic cup wads the 20 ga filler wads are a very snug fit.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI think I would go with the 20 ga cork or felt wads. On some of the 12 ga plastic cup wads the 20 ga filler wads are a very snug fit.

Turns out they do have 16ga. cork available. Thanks for the information.

Originally Posted By: grinder67Originally Posted By: parsonThere are more than one way to fill that space but for me the one that seemed to work best for me was flax seed. It’s big enough it doesn’t migrate down into the shot like the powder fillers and light enough it doesn’t affect weight

So you just add this to the shot charge to increase the volume to the height you want instead of a filler wad?

Yes. I am not the only one doing it, there is some commercial ammo loaded that way. Nothing wrong with the advice about wads but flax seed does not obstruct the shot in any way wads may though very minimally

Use 12ga felt/cork wads they fit correctly. If you use a under sized wad under shot pellets will fall in the gap and become wasted. Over shot cards are helpful on some loads also. 12ga also for these unless you are using Winchester dryloc hulls and buffer. Then 10ga overshot cards

If you are using thin plastic wads you may not need smaller sized cork or felt wads. If you are using thick steel shot type wads with big shot I would get a smaller sized felt or cork wad to push down inside the thick plastic steel shot type cup wads.

Right now I am loading #4 turkey loads but I would like to load some #4 buck for coyotes if you guys have a load you have used before I would be interested

Originally Posted By: baltz526Use 12ga felt/cork wads they fit correctly. If you use a under sized wad under shot pellets will fall in the gap and become wasted. Over shot cards are helpful on some loads also. 12ga also for these unless you are using Winchester dryloc hulls and buffer. Then 10ga overshot cards

Is there a reason you say to use 12 ga. over shot cards as opposed to using 10 ga card?

Originally Posted By: ackleymanyes, the 12ga card just drops in the shell, the 10ga card has to be seated like a wad. This.

Back