Turkey Shotgun Scope?

shelton573

I currently have a 1x vortex scope on my turkey shotgun. For some reason it makes everything seem farther away. Anyone have a recommendation for a good scope that can hold 12 ga recoil? Looking at the 2-7 Burris Droptine or fullfield. Any opinion on these scopes?

I have a couple simmons pro diamonds on turkey/slug guns they have held up for many years, but I believe they too are discontinued

Originally Posted By: grinder67I have a couple simmons pro diamonds on turkey/slug guns they have held up for many years, but I believe they too are discontinued
Thats a great choice also. I have that on my slug guns

I have been using a red dot, the Leupold/Gilmore, discontinued also, on my 930 Mossberg. Used Tru Glo open sights for a while on my Red Label.

Not listed in classifieds but I have a Pro Diamond that I installed on my Marocchi combo gun for a few weeks prior to installing a lighted reticle Vortex. If interested PM me.

Burris Fastfire III or similar micro red dot. I hear Vortex makes two models now at different price points that are affordable.

Ive used red dots since the early 90’s. Love them. I have used tasco PDP3’s on my 10 gauge browning gold NWTF. It currently has a camo PDP2 on it. They eventually lock up after a decade or two of use but the light still comes on. The optics at least lock up at dead center POA so they will last for ever if you don’t have to adjust or remove them. What ever you get do not buy one with any type of tint on the lens as you will not see turkeys at first light. Made the mistake of buying a current tasco with a tinted lens. I have some ultra dot mat dots that are not tinted and I also looked through a “star burst”AT3 at50 that was not tinted. I owned a couple of Gilmore's on my desert eagle barrels. Both models....both extremely dark tint for the dark of dawn. What ever you pick get non tinted clear glass. I have the first generation delta point with zero tint to it Mounted side saddle on my POF but I have trouble finding the dot all the time. Imo reflex dot sights are a challenge to find the dot quickly vs a tube optic like mine. The leupold is a nightmare to adjust with Allen keys as well. Imo the old “scope” type red dots are instantly noticed and have scope type dials for easy sight in and adjustments.

6qHicwB.jpg

I have been eyeing up the $78 Trijicon knock offs on ebay lately. There are listings for a 1x6 or just a plain 2x.

I’ll have to order one and try it out soon....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tactical-2x28-Green-Optical-Fiber-Dot-Sight-Suit-20mm-Weaver-Picatinny-Rail/362789196605?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-6x24-Fiber-Optic-Scope-Green-Triangle-illuminated-Telescopic-Rifle-Scope/362561799441?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-3-9X40-Fiber-Optic-Scope-Green-Triangle-Illuminated-Scope-For-Hunting/254249705386?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Last edited:
The nice part about a five MOA dot is its a good measuring gauge. At 50 yards it’s 2.5”. So that’s about the same width or a hair less than a turkeys neck to estimate the distance. If my tasco PDP2 5 MOA dot is bigger than the head or neck width im pushing my luck. I’ve dropped them out to 87 yards in the past but I try to keep most shots under 35 yards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGBurris Fastfire III or similar micro red dot. I hear Vortex makes two models now at different price points that are affordable.

Vortex Venom has worked well for me.

Back