Social Distancing

DoubleUp

I killed this one tonight, a male, but I'll be darned if it doesn't look like a 6 month old pup. I'm wondering now if they really were breeding last fall when I posted the picture of two locked up.

Anyway I was calling on the south side of a secondary road where we've had decent success in the past. In fact my hunting buddy killed a big male there about a month ago. Just as I was getting started calling an ambulance came by and the coyotes sounded off, but on the north side of the secondary road. We killed a lot more on that side of the highway and already hit them hard this year. Anyway I finally spied two in the field after I raised my tripod to standing position.

It was hard to get their attention, but I finally got one coming my way. With some traffic at times I didn't know if he would cross the secondary road, so when I got him side to with no cars coming, I
killed him. Shot turned out to be 310 yds. DRT. We are allowed to shoot across the right-of-way on secondary roads.

I never did see the other one, but didn't do anymore calling. There was a huge bear in the field on my side about 200 yds. away and I felt a little antsy with him that close. So I got on out of there and took some pictures of the coyote. Here he is.

IMG_0628 by Double Up, on Flickr

Video:

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Boy, that was a long shot in the dark. You and that rifle have a very good understanding.

I was thinking the same thing! Flat shooter for sure.

For me it's a lot harder taking a long shot off a standing tripod, but I managed that one. I've made several like that this year, but I'd much rather be seated to be really steady.

I would be too wobbly if standing, but sitting, with a back rest and off a tripod, it’s a whole different matter.

Nice shot!
thumbup1.gif
Love to hear that "thud", when the bullet smacks 'em down.
cool.gif

With all this "social distancing" stuff and having to stay 6' away from each other... Do midgets have to only stay 3' away?
unsure.gif

Bowhunter57

Back