Apex ammo

Originally Posted By: WilgabeastI just ordered some #2 2oz 3” apex tss predator loads ... anyone have an experience hunting dogs with apex ?

I have shot quite a few coyotes with 1-1/2 oz of TSS #3 and #4 shot.

I have a bunch of TSS #2 shot and some TSS #1 shot loaded in 3" 1-1/2 oz loads.

Those 2 oz loads of #2 TSS shot will definitely kill coyotes but #2 TSS shot is bigger than needed for killing coyotes at 70 yards and under.

From KPY Shotshell Ballistics
1300 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards with about 77 pellets in 1-1/2 oz.
1300 fps TSS #4 shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 78.9 yards with about 124 pellets in 1-1/2 oz.
1300 fps TSS #3 shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 96.8 yards with about 100 pellets in 1-1/2 oz.
1200 fps TSS #2 shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 108.1 yards with about 108 pellets in 2 oz.

When I was buying TSS shot to re-load just the 1-1/2 oz of shot cost $4.22, 2 oz loads would have cost $5.63 per shell just for the shot.

A modified choke maybe all you need with those 2 oz #2 shot loads. If a bear or a lion attacks you, you will have a good load for them with 2 oz of #2 TSS shot. LOL

I’m hunting 5 farms that have been having issues with coyotes during the summer with calves and fawns . I’m there to eliminate as many coyotes as possible , not to sell fur . So in my case a coyote can’t be too dead lol

#2 should work good, I got into loading TSS a couple of years ago thanks to DerbyAcresBob and his knowledge. It is hands down a stone cold killer load. We have a bit bigger coyotes in New England so I don't think #2 will be a mistake, I have had pass through shots at 40yds with #2. You really need to pattern your gun and choke, that is the expensive part, but really important.

Originally Posted By: WilgabeastYes I plan to start with a Carlson’s .670 turkey choke and can go down to .650 if needed

A modified choke will give you a very tight pattern with TSS #2 shot. A Imp/Cyl or L/M choke will shoot 2 ounces of TSS #2 shot pretty tight.

TSS shot is perfectly round and is very heavy for it's size so the pellets don't spread out nearly as much as lead shot or even steel shot.

With about 108 pellets per shell you don't need a real tight pattern like you would with 41 pellets in a number 4 buckshot load.

Last edited:
Apex rep told me their predator ammo hasn’t come out yet for the year but will show up by the end of April. I just got lucky and found 2 boxes available

My apex ammo just showed up!! I’m very excited to put a few rounds at a pattern board . I have a Carlson’s .670 extended turkey choke , and a Carlson’s .705 improved modified flush choke to start . Again the load is an apex predator load 2oz of #2 tss . Any advice on other chokes to try

I would try one shot with the Carlson's Imp/Mod. If it looks good go with it. I have shot quite a few coyotes with TSS #4 shot through a Carlson's Mod Extended choke and it shot pretty tight patterns.

I wouldn't shoot TSS #2 shot through a tight turkey choke.

Dave, that’s a great review of the TSS. Amazing patterns. Thank you for that. I also checked out your website. You have had some great adventures in those lonely off road places. I really enjoyed seeing the ruins.

Originally Posted By: DAAHere's some of my pattern testing with TSS #2 and #4 and some different chokes.

TSS pattern testing

- DAA

Very well done Dave. That should be a separate sticky beside the shotgun sticky thread in the firearms forum.

Thanks Dave for posting your TSS pattern testing link again!

I really like your 24" X 24" backer pellet counts. I think for killing coyotes the amount of pellets spread across the 24" X 24" paper is more important than having a really large number of pellets hitting in a 10" circle.

For me shooting running coyotes is nothing like shooting a standing turkey in the head. So I don't want a super tight turkey type pattern for shooting coyotes.

I would say that at least 80% of the coyotes I have killed with TSS shot I could have killed with HW13 BB shot or lead BB shot. It seems like if I put TSS shot loads in my shotgun I have a better chance of getting some 20 to 30 yard shots on coyotes. LOL

Thanks Bob! I agree, for me using a shotgun on coyotes flying through the sage brush, I prefer a wider pattern.

I have mostly been using Hevishot BB, as the TSS has just gotten too dear.

It's worth pointing out, my pattern testing is just a snapshot in time, of one shotgun. Everyone needs to test their own to see what they see.

And Bob's experience, knowledge and wisdom is vastly superior to mine - I'm still a noob.

- DAA

I shot the apex today . At 60 yards I put 41 pellets on the head neck and shoulder/vitals of a full size coyote target . I’d say it’s easy a 75 yard shotgun round with the full choke . At 20 yards I had almost all 108 pellets of #2 shot in the coyote

I wouldn't speculate what the load & choke combination will do that extra 15 yards out. That is too big a leap for guesswork. At those extended ranges especially, an extra 15 yards can wreck a pattern. And you really can't use just one shot as a baseline.

Back