Needing a way to mount a Burris xtr 2 4-20x50?

deadrabbits

It's an old savage 110 and I have way nicer guns it should go on but this gun is special. Killed my 1st big game w it about 30 years ago. So that's about the age of the gun.....I can't find a picatiny that lines up w the bolts abywhwre!? I call shops and they say they have one but it never works...finally found a leupold that fit the back holes and 1st on the front perfectly but not the 4th...I'm running out of options! Thought about having a Smith or machinist tap another hole? Also thought about running w 3 the way it is? I'm too heady though and just knowing that will screw me uo!' Let alone if it loosened or sheared off I'd be threw the roof. 34mm tubes sound good and may look cool but they don't fit standard weaver bases, I need picatiny rails for a compass 204 as well and I knew better and ordered it wo holes and am having a smith doing it it's just [beeep] expensive! I like my 1" tubes! Anyone want a NIB Burris xtr 2 4-20x50 illuminated ret, FFP, etc .. lmk? I'll throw in the new $150 rings as well! Buy 2 leupold freedoms 3-9x50 (found them online for $220. Send me 2 of those and I'll send you a bada$$ scope! Open other trades too. Cash would be $800.... I bought it new awhile back for $1500ish... smoking deal... I love it but u can't get it mounted!? Need to scope 2 guns asap...!

Thank you good sir! I had found one and it said it fits my savage buy it was darn near an inch from the last bolt. They had 2 that they said would fit so I'm gonna run over there in a few hours and see if the other end works Inm guessing? This gun has been the hardest project I've personally ever done! It's a 30 year old 110 that's maybe worth 300, to someone that wants to hunt w the gun his Dad did. I shot my 1st and only muley buck with it and switched to traditional bows and never owned a gun until 15 years ago when I had a chance to hunt w a great caller....addicted ever since! I wont ever shoot big game w a rifle but dogs and cats w fast flat shooting guns and a 40 grain pill

Have you looked at Murphy Precision?

Savage Flat Back (Pre 2003) - Long Action Scope Mount

CNC machined stainless steel or titanium Picatinny spec. scope base.
Proudly made in the USA.

Quote:Application:
Savage models 110, 111, 112, 114, and 116 with a flat rear bridge (Pre 2003).
Specs:
Weight:Stainless: -- oz, Titanium: -- oz
Length: 6.679"
Front Height: .340"
Rear Height: .460"

Hole Spacing (From Rear):
1st to 2nd: 0.860"
1st to 3rd: 5.490"
1st to 4th: 6.351"

** Each base ships with 6-48 alloy steel Torx screws, and a T15 Torx wrench. (8-40 stainless screws available upon request).

The saga or should I say nightmare continues! I found a flat backed rail that fits my old savage 243..... well, I mounted it and at 25 yards the XTR 2 is bottomed out up and right.....still hitting almost low on the target and barely hitting the left? I'm in over my head. I'm not a gun guy in terms of moa, windage, etc..... I grew up shooting trad bows and my pops even shunned compounds, you shot a recurve or longbow instinctively or you were cheating! Swear, he just felt that way. Except for calling dogs! He loved guns then. So I never learned a lot about them in terms of the fine details. I bought, mounted scopes in my other 3 and all of them I shoot about a dime to quarter sized hole at 100 yrs. Now this thing is so far off its insane! And I'm out of clicks, so off to the Smith I go tomorrow..... I tried selling it NIB for 500 and nothing but low balls and questions! Finally I put it up in trade for any leupold freedom to vxiii with a 50mm bell and nada.... I'll certainly never own or think about buying any scope over $600.... $1800 when it was new which it still is, plus 250 34mm bases 2k for a scope they need to warn you need a PHD to mount and use. Dropping it off tomorrow....if it's the way the old 110 is I'll either put it on a 204 which sucks bc both are 300ish 204s and a 4-12x50 with a red dot is a tack driver on both and it's too much scope for them. So well see? Wish me luck! Hate this scope! The reticles are great and the illumination makes them better. Everything else is confusing for a novice long range shooter like myself!

Your scope being 20 power more than likely has 1/8th adjustment click instead of 1/4 inch. Not sure, just guessing, as most higher power scopes do. If this is the case, you could use Leupold rings and their windage adjustable bases. You can get them in 20 MOA as well IIRC. I know its more money spent but should fix your problem. I've had to do it with certain scopes before.

Burris rings with the adjustable inserts might fix your issues as well.

I use the Burris Signature rings to help eliminate the issues of the OP. They let me do a tremendous amount of adjustment every which way I need.

Greg

Yep go with the Burris signature z rings with the plastic inserts. Save me a lot of bottom out scope issues. These will work for your problem I am sure. MD

If going with Burris Signature rings, an insert kit is needed
which will have the options of 5, 10 and 20 degree offset
inserts.

Thanks everyone, I have my 204s driving tacs with vortex crossfire 2s (one v plex, one red dot illuminated which I LOVE)...... I tried the Burris several ways and learned a ton from people on here to several friends w far more knowledge than myself, I learned enough to go with what I know and grab a leupold vx3 or one of several vortex scopes I really like, get rid of the Burris to someone who will enjoy it and use it properly! I'm not a great rifle shot and dont see myself racking up critters out to 500 or more wo a ton of practice! Soooo, I'm throwing it up at a local shop for trade or consignment.... I got this vortex 3-9x50 red dot for 209 and that included vortex pro rings from planet planetoptics. I need a light pair of 8 power binos and I can get those and a scope for this Burris I bet and I'll be happy and comfortable shooting every rifle I own. Just seems my best option for now into next year since I'm done dog hunting til october anyway.....
Then maybe I'll learn more and know more of what I like after a summer shooting and tinkering!?
Cheers to all in these bizarre trying times.....luckily I'm 45 minutes away from all the grasslands and shooting, exploring I can get to in months.... w the gyms closed theres no bodybuilding (my other hobby), but the longbows are ready as are my 2 favorite rifles to tinker w and shoot....

Hey I'm new here but not new to having to mount a scope on a old savage.

Savage actions are generally described as flat rear or round rear along with the length of the action ie SA or LA. I have an old Savage 110 300 Win Mag that takes flat Savage LA bases. The length of your action might just be different enough so one piece bases don't fit.

So look into these parts for mounting your scope.

1st Burris XTR Signature rings are important for clean mounting and adjustments for elevation and windage. They come in 34MM as well

2nd, Burris XTR bases are 2 piece picatinny compatible that will work your rifle. Probably get the flat rear ones for savage.

Together these rings and bases can improve several mounting problems. The instructions that come with the rings will walk you through how to use the offcenter inserts to add or subtract MOAs with the mount.

For example a rifle with a 20MOA rail can be challenging to zero at 50 or 100 yards with a scope that has minimal adjustment. Using the rings, you can subtract 0, 5, 10 or even 20 MOA from your rail to give you lots of flexibility.

Hang in there...

Back