FAVORITE 223 POWDER????

Originally Posted By: HOOVYTHANKS EVERYONE !!!!
To do a load ladder where would I start with a 50 grain bullet and with a 55 grain bullet?
SORRY THIS IS NEW TO ME
smile.gif
smile.gif

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/07/13/creighton-audette-ladder-testing/

Regards,
hm

It really is fun to discuss bullets and powder and things. Many of the most "for fun" posts on on these subjects.

Emptymag's post might seem a bit harsh, but it is about the most sound advice you will get.

This hobby is a life of learning for a smart person with an engineering mind set.

Definitely buy the loading manual for each brand of bullet you shoot. The beginning of each manual will be the "how to" section. Seems i liked the Speer manual best when i got started.

You can download Sierra's entire 6th edition onto your phone or iPad for free via the application.

Johny's reloading bench has many good videos. Try to go all the way the back to the beginning with those and watch them in order.

Sam has a channel called panhandle precision. There is a precision loading series that is more than worth the time. Maybe it is the best out there.

Look up Zediker publishing. Many good books there.

It is really best to "go to school" 1st. Then come back to the forums for little tips.

Get ready to spend a year or two studying.

Always start with a good barrel

Get organized.

Don't let young kids play on the floor anywhere close to your locked and secure reloading bunker.

Learn the difference between COAL and base to ogive.

Learn what shoulder bump is.

Good luck.

Great documentation, Dultimatpredator!

Those remingtons really suck hind tit don't they?!!!

Guys that hunt in really cold weather have fewer choices than those that hunt typically in 40*+ weather, which is the catagory I fall into.

I have shot more Win 748 and H335 in my various 223's over the years than anything else.

Today, for great velocity and accuracy, N135 and Benchmark are way up on my list for getting the 53 and 55g bullets up to 3450 with supurb accuracy in Rem 700 sporters. N133 and AA2015 are tops on getting the 50g to 3600 with some amazing accuracy, love the 50g ballistic tips and 50g Sierra spt seated .003 off the lands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanGreat documentation, Dultimatpredator!

Those remingtons really suck hind tit don't they?!!!

Guys that hunt in really cold weather have fewer choices than those that hunt typically in 40*+ weather, which is the catagory I fall into.

I have shot more Win 748 and H335 in my various 223's over the years than anything else.

Today, for great velocity and accuracy, N135 and Benchmark are way up on my list for getting the 53 and 55g bullets up to 3450 with supurb accuracy in Rem 700 sporters. N133 and AA2015 are tops on getting the 50g to 3600 with some amazing accuracy, love the 50g ballistic tips and 50g Sierra spt seated .003 off the lands.

Thanks, I have a notebook full of oads for all my rifles, pistols, and shotguns like this.

I see alot of complaining on the LTR’s over the years saying they don’t group. I traded off a bushmaster targeter varminter for it back in 2000’ that shot just as tight if not better but it wouldn’t cycle my loads. I blame the bad LTR reviews on human error and not the gun. Imo any rifled action sitting on an HS precision stock with a full length aluminum betting block will shoot just as good if you work up the right loads for it. Reminds me I’m out of Remington 7 1/2 bench rest primers for my pet load. I’ll have to order a case from Cabela’s and pick it up the next time through.

Last edited:
I had an LTR in 308, lordy. It shot the 178g A max into a single bullet hole with Varget and IMR 4064. Brother had to have that rifle.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman

+1

My go-to powders for .223 are:

W-748
TAC
AA2230
Re15

I've not had to go beyond those to find great results, shooting bullets from 45gr through 77gr.

Like the post above with the book and notes, I have detailed notes on all my precision rifles including round counts. It really helps to keep good notes on a rifle's performance with various loads during development. Especially when you have lots of rifles.

My favorite is Ramshot Xterminator (Same as Accurate 2230 ). i have cz527 and Zastava M85 with 1 in 12 twist barrels , Handy Rifle with 1 in 9 , and a Palmetto with a 1 in 7 barrel.

Originally Posted By: ilmo50 gr vmax or Nosler bt. 25:x. of vn 133. Magical accuracy and velocity. Work up to it. Start at 24 something. If you get to 25,3 or 25,5. You will be impressed by the velocity. And accuracy. Jim Carmichael listed this in outdoor life one time

Ditto

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but 748 and H335 is about all I use. I should add that I don't shoot as much 223 anymore, not like I used to, so my rifle is old with a slow twist. 40gr. Sierra (my favorite) up to 55gr is all I load.
A full case of 748 behind a 40gr. Sierra or a Calhoun 37gr.DblHp in a 20" barrel is something to behold. LOL

Have been working with AR Comp lately. first group shot was a .4 with a 69gr Nosler Comp bullet. Now using a 55 gr ballistic tip with 25.8 gr powder, which gives a mv around 3250. Coyotes definitely do not like this screaming load.

H335-H322-Benchmark-CFE223

335 & CFE flow best thru my dispenser. After set up, I only check the dispenser for accuracy every 5 rnds, it's always dead on with these powders. Cant say enough good things about the Redding 3br dispenser..

Benchmark. I've used XBR8208, varget, H335, CFE223, Win748, you name it. Benchmark is always what I come back to. 23 grains with 77 SMK and 25.5 with 50 grain Vmax in 5.56 & 27.3 grains in my .204 ruger (Sierra accuracy load).

Went to buy some of my favorite powder & my local was out. I did find BLC-2 & Ramshot Exterminator. Bought both! Ive used blc for a long time,but the ramshot is excellent in my 223!
Flows very well thru the dispenser. May have found a new favorite.

Back