Is WIN USA 5.56mm brass good brass for reloading?

Hellgate

I am a compulsive brass scrounge. It must be the legacy of my folks and grandparents living during the Depression but it hate to see it wasted just laying around. Yesterday I was out at the gun club dialing in my coyote rifle and moseyed over to the large shooting pits where the various police departments train. It was a veritable cornucopia of expended .223/5.56 brass and of course, I scrounged about 8 lbs of it. 90% of it says Win USA 5.56mm. I am quite accustom to processing military brass for shooting. This has crimped primers. They weigh about 96.6 grs as found. Anybody use them? Are they consistent in weight? Any problems with it?

I pretty much only reload LC and Federal mil spec brass. At the very least the brass I gathered is worth about $2/pound.

It's decent brass. I've used it for prairie dog shoots and it's strong brass. I've found anything that is usually 5.56 brass has a thicker case head and is less prone to having soft primer pockets. Run it and enjoy it.

Thank you, Hunt. My R-15 is dialed in: I nailed a big ~35 lb male coyote yesterday and was ringing steel @ 200, 300, 400, & 500 yds at the ranch we hunt on.

Back