Savage .204 for coyotes?

Cabela's also has the HSM re-manufactured .204 with the 40 grain HP Bergers. Both the 35 and 40 grain Bergers shoot great out of both my CZ's and they're deadly on coyotes.

Originally Posted By: MPFDThank you California.... Its also coming to a State near you unless the NRA and other Gun advocates can stop it. Arizona is also being watched closely and have a voluntary program for those that wish to comply to the Non-lead rules. Its interesting though.. How long before they attack Fishermen?

Fishermen have been under attack for lead sinkers for many years. They haven't got many places to ban them yet but are working on it.

Jack

I've shot plenty of coyotes with my 2 savage .204's. 32gr to 40gr bullets. I mainly use 39gr Sierra and 40gr v max now. And with praire dogs the heavier bullets shoot best for me in the wind. I've had good results using cfe223 or benchmark powders.

HSM has both the 35-40 gr Berger hp.
Federal and Dogtown have 32 or 40 gr Nosler BT.
Sierra ammo will have a 36 gr on the market that could be a real coyote bomb.

I think you can find factory 39gr Sierra Blitzkings in some form of ammunition, but not for sure.

People swear by them and they seem to stabilize in 1:12's a little better.

I don't coyote hunt with my .204, just shoot prairie dogs, but I have killed some coyote with my .204 and it for sure is plenty out to 400-500 yds.

I shoot the 40gr Vmax an never had an issue. Good luck and have fun.

HSM,).287 BC 3857 fps,I shot a yote in the rear end ,the hole and dropped him ,DRT @ 100 yards. If I could post pics here I can show dozens and dozens what the 204 can do.Go on LRHF and you'll see plenty of yotes taken by me.THX

204 Ruger is my favorite for coyotes. I shoot the 40 gr. Noslers. I never had one get away yet. This last season was the 3rd season I have used the 204 Ruger. I'm sure I will lose one sooner or later.

Rudy

Rudy, I tried the Nosler 40 BT this winter. I really like them out of my 20p AR. I would like to try the BIB 40, but haven't been able to find 50-100 sample to try. We are just into legal thermal and night vision for coyote here and I think the 20p/204r with a 40 is the way to go for fur at night.

spotstalkshoot- 40 Nosler BT is the bullet for sure for the coyotes I shoot. I've tried many, including the 35 Bergers. Bergers are favorites for many, but I will stick with the 40's.

Rudy

Surprised so many are shooting 40 grain bullets out of 1:12” twist .204 barrels. None of my three .204R rifles in that rate will stabilize the 40s, a common problem. 39 Sierra Blitzkings usually do fine.
Someone mentioned factory ammo tipped with those 39 SBKs: Federal Premium discontinued them years ago; I may have scrounged the last boxes produced and still use them on occasion in place of handloads, they shoot that well. I believe the 45 gr. SP Hornadys are not sold anymore either. I’m seriously considering getting out of the reloading “business” someday, and am also eagerly awaiting the aforementioned new 36 grain loaded Sierra ammo.
.204 bullets kill ‘yotes — compare the ballistics, trajectory, wind drift etc. of a 40 grainer with a 55 .22-250. Just steer clear of the plastic-tipped 32s.

The 204 is more than adequate for coyotes,mine has a 1 in 10,Thompson center venture. I don't reload ,I've found Hornady and HSM make more than enough loadings for various applications. The 39 Blitz King will be your best bet,@ 3857 fps,and a high BC of 0.287,at a quarter mile it will drop a coyote if you can hit em.I've killed dozens in the last several months,check out LRHF,you'll see ,can't figure out how to load pictures here and have given up.My go to round in Ohio is Hornady 26 gr superformance @4400 fps,out to 300 yards,most shots are 200 or less it flattensem. You'll love the 204,it's laser.

Back