How Rare is a Black Coyote? Trail cam pic.

Hello, all. I signed up to this site for one purpose in mind - to leave a comment on on this question, "How rare is a black coyote?". Well, I have hunted since I was a boy, and I'm now forty-three. I have never seen a black coyote, that is, until this year! I found a scrape, set my camera and left the area. When I returned to see what was working the scrape, I saw that it was a small four-point. A couple does made their presence, and to my surprise, a black coyote came to the site as well! Since I had the camera on a scrape, I set it to take three pictures at a time. The coyote came in, left and then returned. He marked the buck's scrape - wow! This got me fired up, and I was ready to do some predator calling. I ordered a Mojo Critter and an IcoTech electronic call to help me out. I found a good site to set up and got behind a nice-sized rock. I did call the coyote in, made the shot, found blood for about thirty to forty yards and that was the start of what became my most sickening hunting story. My wife and I searched for hours trying to find him but never did. I shot him with a .22 magnum. A couple days later I purchased a .243 Remington. I presently have five cameras in the area in hopes he might have survived the shot, but I doubt he did.
6181255_orig.jpg

9228192_orig.jpg

6957116_orig.jpg

7454348_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a tough loss ARK1, the 22mag is just not enough in my opinion. The 243 will serve you well for coyotes, deer or hogs. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, jcs271. I agree with you on the .22 mag not being enough. I learned the HARD way.

New hunters, do not lose a varmint (especially a rare trophy) due to too little firepower.

The good thing about the .243 is my wife will be able to use it come deer season. Never thought about taking a hog with it, but I heard there are some in the area.

Hunt well,
Ark1

Very nice pictures, weekender! I must say - I have enjoyed checking the game cams this year almost as much as the hunting itself.

They do show up occasionally. Always a bonus when you see one, and rare enough to be a real prize. Some say just a rare color phase, others say genes from gray wolf, and others same some genes from domestic dogs. Any of the options could probably be true. A black phase of the red wolf supposedly once inhabited Fla. and those genes may also be mixed in the southeastern coyote population, but all red wolves today have actually been shown to be a combination of 75% coyote, 24% gray wolf with a little domestic dog thrown in. So there you have it. Lol

They are pretty rare around this part of the country, but seen and killed much more frequently than ten to twenty years ago. I have only killed two over the years and have seen a couple more. Seems like they show up much more in Mississippi, S. Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, and Florida.

I have been coyote hunting in AZ for 7-8 years and never seen one. Seems there is either a lot or none in the area. Having one black male breeding all over someones farm could produce more I guess, hence someone seeing 5 of them. I would just like one tanned, hanging in the garage. someday!

Well, a black coyote showed up on my trail cams last night, so I figured it might be a good time to bring this topic back to life

Any black coyote spottings as of late by anyone?

About 3 yrs ago I was in a lease where there were a couple black ones but I haven't seen any since then. I want to get a black one.

uof1624.jpg

sh71rJD.jpg

Last edited:
Back