New hunter

DKG

Coyote season is over here in NY state, but next season I would like to get heavily into it. A local store was going out of business a while back and I cleaned out their Winchester Varmint X loads. I recently was given a box of Hevi X BB and I am hearing that it is not as dense as lead, but would it work or should I stick with the Varmint X?

That's steel shot correct? It can and will work but it's not ideal for coyotes. But if it was free I'd use it. I'd just make sure the choke you use is rated for steel shot.

Steel works but you have to be a lot closer than lead the same size.
Larger steel has a hard time penetrating winter fur, it's a surface size thing.
Tungsten base shot can be smaller than lead but the same weight penetrates easier. What I have found is #2 lead penetrates better and carries more energy than steel BB. If you're under 30 yards when you start to shoot and keep shooting till it's dead your good.

Originally Posted By: jetmanSteel works but you have to be a lot closer than lead the same size.
Larger steel has a hard time penetrating winter fur, it's a surface size thing.
Tungsten base shot can be smaller than lead but the same weight penetrates easier. What I have found is #2 lead penetrates better and carries more energy than steel BB. If you're under 30 yards when you start to shoot and keep shooting till it's dead your good.

It is tungsten based from my understanding. I know it is closer to bismuth in density though

I shot a coyote at 32 yards with a steel /tungsten bb mixed load and it laughed at me as it ran away ! Never shoot steel , I have a few boxes of heavy magnum coyote bb loads but I like the Winchester a lot mire

Originally Posted By: WilgabeastI’ll drive up from mass and buy some of that Winchester off you. Can’t find it anywhere here and can’t order ammo in mass

Haha, It patterns well out to 30 yards out of my 930 with the factory modified choke. But I do have a carlson's .680 to try as well

My best patterns with it have been with my Carlson’s turkey choke .670 constriction . Puts deadly patterns well out to 45 yards out of my 870

Wilgabeast, Midway will ship you ammo, as will Precision Reloading. They will need a copy of your LTC. Call them. I regularly buy hard to find ammo and components from them.

Originally Posted By: WilgabeastMy best patterns with it have been with my Carlson’s turkey choke .670 constriction . Puts deadly patterns well out to 45 yards out of my 870

I have a .660 to try as well, but I feel like that would be too tight

EMI's Hevi-X Tungsten loads are not as dense as lead, they are a tungsten alloy and they cost about $1.50 to $1.60 per shell. The Hevi-Goose and Hevi-Shot Dead coyote loads are denser than lead "12g/cc" and cost about $4.80 to $5.50 per shell.

Steel shot is the worst shot type ever made and loses it's speed way faster than the shot types that are denser.

Look below at the yardage where the shot gets 3.70" of penetration and the fps that the shot starts out with. These below numbers are from KPY Shotshell Ballistics.

1600 fps steel BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 18.4 yards.
1450 fps Bismuth BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 33.5 yards. "similar to Hevi-X Tungsten"
1300 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards.
1350 fps Hevi-Goose B shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 54.2 yards.

Lead BB shot loads or Lead Number 4 buckshot loads will work much better on coyotes than any steel shot, bismuth or Hevi-X Tungsten loads will.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobEMI's Hevi-X Tungsten loads are not as dense as lead, they are a tungsten alloy and they cost about $1.50 to $1.60 per shell. The Hevi-Goose and Hevi-Shot Dead coyote loads are denser than lead "12g/cc" and cost about $4.80 to $5.50 per shell.

Steel shot is the worst shot type ever made and loses it's speed way faster than the shot types that are denser.

Look below at the yardage where the shot gets 3.70" of penetration and the fps that the shot starts out with. These below numbers are from KPY Shotshell Ballistics.

1600 fps steel BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 18.4 yards.
1450 fps Bismuth BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 33.5 yards. "similar to Hevi-X Tungsten"
1300 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards.
1350 fps Hevi-Goose B shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 54.2 yards.

Lead BB shot loads or Lead Number 4 buckshot loads will work much better on coyotes than any steel shot, bismuth or Hevi-X Tungsten loads will.

Thank you for the input. I will definitely stick with my BB loads for the time being. If I were to handload, would that be cheaper than buying factory heavier than lead loads?

You can reload 3" 1-1/2 oz HW13 BB loads for right at $3.00 or a little less. So that would be about $1.80 to $2.00 less per shell than the factory EMI Hevi-Goose or Dead Coyote loads.

You can buy the lead BBB or T buckshot from BPI and reload 3" 1-1/2 oz loads for about $1.20 or less per shell.

Unless you have to shoot lead free shot, loading lead shot will be less expensive.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobYou can reload 3" 1-1/2 oz HW13 BB loads for right at $3.00 or a little less. So that would be about $1.80 to $2.00 less per shell than the factory EMI Hevi-Goose or Dead Coyote loads.

You can buy the lead BBB or T buckshot from BPI and reload 3" 1-1/2 oz loads for about $1.20 or less per shell.

Unless you have to shoot lead free shot, loading lead shot will be less expensive.

Thank you again. I was actually looking at lead BB, BBB, T and F as possible options.

Back