Red dot for AR

I've tried them on my combo guns and didn't care for them but I have one on my bow that works pretty good.

The way your head sits on the stock and your eye aligns with a scope, I find a low power 1-4/1.5-6 with a huge FOV and an illuminated dot reticle to be very fast and the ability to turn up the power makes it a better deal than a Holo-sight or Red dot for me. Leaving it on 1x and using both eyes it works much like a red dot

Now on the bow where there is no head rest and the range is ALWAYS quite short it works well for me.

It’ll be on a riser mount for better viewing. A lot of the more quality brands include one. Who has a low power scope with lighted reticle?

Just about every manufacturer. I'm shooting them from Burris, Alpen, Konus, all of mine are 1.5-6x40's, I've had Bushnell in the past both a 1.25-4 and a 1.5-6x40mm. Leupold has their Firedot scopes.

Originally Posted By: Tgunz64Thoughts on a decent red/green dot sight? Looking at the Holosun https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019944750?pid=410581
I know EO Tech is good but also more $$$. What are your thoughts? Up to about $300.
For home defense, target, hunting under 100 yards.

I dont have the solar powered Holosun but have the normal 503. Awesome little sights I have 2 now and will likely add more later. They are the first "budget" red dot I have ever owned that I could comfortably shoot in bright environments, like snow.

Most of the cheap dots get blown out and hard to see even on brightest settings. I also have a trijicon MRO. I like it a lot too but it is more expensive.

Ive tried to love the LPVOs but end up selling them later on. I find them clunkier than a dot on the low end and lacking in the magnification department on the high end. I would like to try the new Vortex 1-10 though.
tongue_smilie.gif

Aimpoint is one of the inventors of this type of optic. They make a darn nice unit. A bit more than you quoted. I used one professionally for years. Worked well

Last edited:
I wouldn't spend that much money for what you want it for. I like Primary Arms. Romeo 5 isn't bad either. I believe both are made by Holosun. They have a few different versions of the romeo5. Also seen good reviews on the Vortex Spark

I've been running vortex spark 2s on several different platforms including ARs and a bullpup shotgun. The one on the shotgun died after about 20 rounds of stout ammo. Vortex replaced it no questions asked.

You can acquire used, like new in the box, Aimpoint Pro sights for around $325-$350 shipped off ARFCOM's equipment exchange. Just buy from folks with feedback.

I've bought several myself and have helped fellow officers at work acquire them as well, probably seven or eight in all.

For that kind of money, why consider anything else?

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptYou can acquire used, like new in the box, Aimpoint Pro sights for around $325-$350 shipped off ARFCOM's equipment exchange. Just buy from folks with feedback.

I've bought several myself and have helped fellow officers at work acquire them as well, probably seven or eight in all.

For that kind of money, why consider anything else?

This or LaRue is pushing the Trijicon MRO w/LaRue mount out for $440.

Back