22 Hornet bullets

wicka

I have a chance to pick up about 800 of the Remington 45gn SP bullets. Think they used to call these Hornet bullets. Can't find anything about then other than they are discontinued. They will seat good and will fit the CZ mags.
My question is will they work fine in a 16 twist barrel?
thanks for any info.

If they aren't boat tails or have plastic tips they should work fine. There is one easy way to be sure shoot a couple, they can't hurt anything.

Even if they shoot well, they may be too frangible to use for hunting in a .223. They are designed to expand at Hornet velocities but may splash on larger critters like coyotes. They would be fine for plinking and rodents.

Yes these will be for a 22 hornet. Just have to find the right powder load for it. going to take some time to see what my gun likes.

I use the sierra 45 grain .224 hornet bullet with Lil Gun in my hornet. It is accurate and does great on 100 yard coyotes.

For powder, start with LilGun from Hodgdon, and use small pistol primers for ignition.

Hodgdon claims 200+Fps more speed AND 25% lower pressures ( 32K vs. 42k).

My Ruger M77 Hornet (not 'K') hits 2,900fps using 13.0grs Lilgun and a 45gr Barnes XLC, and shoots MOA.

In 2 Ruger M77 Hornets, the max powder charge of Lilgun is also the most accurate.

Another powder with similar performance is MP-300, but I have not tried it.

Good luck with the Hornet! I've had mine since 1991-92.

my hornet is a cz, and it likes AA1680 best. lilgun is good, but the 1680 outdoes it. am using a 34g dogtown bullet from midway, shoots into 1 hole groups.
Barry

There was over 1100 bullets in the parcel and they turned out to be the older .223 Rem 45gn bullets. I found these were made for the older 223 hornet barrels.
will these harm a 224 barrel?
Is it ok to shoot these in a new CZ 22 Hornet?
thanks

From what I have read about the CZ 22 Hornet barrels you will be fine. According to James Calhoon website the take off Hornet barrels make good rimfire barrels.

You'll be fine. Being .001" undersized, you should not notice any difference, well, maybe, accuracy.

I routinely shoot 9mm bullets out of my 357 at 38Spl speeds. Very accurate as well.

9mm is .355 and 38Spl is .357 diameter.

Back