6.5 Grendel Upper?

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI have ASC and they've been perfect. The place I bought them from has gone under though.

I run the Geendel ASCs in all my Grendel and 6.8 variants. So far I've never had a magazine issue. I may be lucky but I have around 3 dozen of them in 223, 7.62X39, and 6.5 and am very pleased with the price and selection. Some have had some issues in the past and roundly criticize them but I'm not one of them. I wish the guys that hated them had sent them to me..LOL It doesn't take $40.00 magazine to get theese guns to run. I order from their web site.

Greg

Ok, what weight bullets to stabilize well with a 1:8 twist? Will the light 90 gr. Varmints or 100 gr. work in that twist? I found some Hornady 123 gr. SST’s that I assume would be a good deer / hog bullet?

Thanks to everyone for educating me on the Grendel.

I've been messing with 85 gr Sierra Varminters and 95 gr VMax for smaller stuff, 123 and 129 gr SST's for deer/pig size and have some 120 Sierra Pro Hunters that are said to be quite accurate in the grendel and good for deer/pig sized game

There are some Nosler BT's and others out there, including heavier ones for tougher game

Only deer kill is this buck, at least 230 lbs live weight:

2498.jpg

Buck was walking, quartering towards me so the path was diagonal. You can see the exit a bit far back, about the last ribs.

This was a 123 gr SST hand load. While there is an exit, I recovered the jacket under the skin. Buck made it about 50 yards.

Pigs are pretty tough and the shoulders have a gristle plate that can be hard to penetrate. Depending on bullet placement, this bullet might be too fragile for pigs. I'm thinking head shot, break the neck, or quartering away so you can put it farther back on the ribs and get in behind that plate it might work OK. Guessing here, as I haven't shot any pigs with it.

I had originally thought the live weight at 175. I took the head with the complete hide on it to the taxidermist, as he had to buy the mold for the mount he placed it at 230.

I couldn't lift it enough to get it on the tailgate by myself.

2500.jpg

I've found Benchmark and 802XBR to be 2 powders that seem to work well more often than not with the bullets I've tried.

Bets primers so far have been Federal 205. I now have 5000 Federal 205 Gold Match to work with. In rifles using large rifle primers, I've found the 210 GM primers to be more accurate than others that they long ago became what I just use to start with. I just couldn't get any for small rifle for a long time.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they do with my grendels

Well, tonight I ordered a 20” Grendel parkerized heavy barrel from Bear Creek Arsenal for $276 shipped. Then ordered some ASC magazines and a couple boxes of Hornady 123 gr. SST’s for starters. Will have to get some dies and components later. I won’t be shooting for a while anyway until my neck heals. Will give me something to look forward to during this down time. I know the upper may not be the refined quality of more pricy ones, but I figured for the money it’s worth a try since I wasn’t prepared to spend much right now, so this gave me an option. My recovery after surgery will keep me holed up for a few months, so the anticipation of a new toy will keep me hanging on.

I really appreciate everyone who has been involved in my education on the Grendel, and please post any other suggestion you might have. I am always ready to learn.

I received the Grendel upper two days after I ordered it. Can’t argue with shipping time. I got the 20” barrel but in hindsight would have got the 18”. The 20” is just a little longer than I like, but for bait hunting coyotes and hogs it should work just fine. I don’t have photos yet and may be a while before I can post them.

Is there a specific powder that makes the Grendel shine? What about Xterminator? I have several cans of that.

Have not used that, you should look for load data for it.

There are quite a few powders known to work well with it & it seems to be easy to find decent results with quite a few powders.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I received the Grendel upper two days after I ordered it. Can’t argue with shipping time. I got the 20” barrel but in hindsight would have got the 18”. The 20” is just a little longer than I like, but for bait hunting coyotes and hogs it should work just fine. I don’t have photos yet and may be a while before I can post them.

Is there a specific powder that makes the Grendel shine? What about Xterminator? I have several cans of that. Go to 65 Grendel.com a lot of good info there.I'm running an 18". If i had to do it over i think i'd have went with a 20" I'm loading AA2520 with the 123 SST's I'm like you. I shoot coyotes over bait.

Back