FAVORITE 223 POWDER????

HOOVY

Just getting into reloading. Just got my set up yesterday from my father in law. All RCBS stuff like new. ANXIOUS to get started.

Benchmark is your friend. My LTR shoots .3” 200 yard groups with 27 grains and 40 grain NBTs and my POF shoots .3” 200 yards groups with 25 grains of benchmark and a 60 grain vmax. My LTR shoots the same 60 grain load almost as tight. The powder manufactures must know it’s the goto powder because they have it marked up more than any powder at cabelas and the LGS’s.

I’d have to check but I think my other tight grouping powder is 25.5 grains of H4895. I believe the H4895 shot just as tight of a group in the LTR and POF with 60 grain Vmax. I’m sure if you look through my old posts I had data listed with groups .

Buy a can of each and ladder test with both powders.

W9pW31u.jpg

aofNR1u.jpg

9X10E9M.jpg

Last edited:
I would say it depends on the bullet you're shooting and the weather conditions you're in.

H335 and CFE223 are great for 223 but they're temp sensitive if you're splitting hairs. Varget is temp stable and great for heavier 60+gr bullets, Benchmark is temp stable and great for 60gr and less bullets.

Typically ball powders will get you higher velocity, stick powders will give you a more stable load.

And that's just part of what Hodgdons offers for 223... Ramshot Tac I hear a lot of guys like but I havent tried it.

Old school 3031 has worked well for me for a long time 40 yrs, but it doesn't meter well so it is just used for specialty stuff. If I have a gun that doesn't seem to want to shoot it will usually shoot with 3031 and it is very versatile, I use it in everything from 222 to 9.3x72R.

New stuff 2230 and Benchmark, 2230 goes through the measure like liquid and is great for bulk loading as does 748. Benchmark meters well as it is a short stick powder, I usually use this for accuracy loads and dump/trickle for target loads.

Last edited:
I have varget that my father in law used for my 22-250. I am in the mid western side of VA in the Allegheny mtns. SO temps range a good bit. You guys are AWESOME !!!! Im really looking forward to learning reloading!!!!

My LTR loads were with Remington 223 brass and my POF were 5.56 lake city brass. I full length sized the 5.56 LC brass in my RCBS 223 die before using so they are at 223 Dimensions.

I need to shoot these safe queens again some day. The last time my POF got exercise was in AZ on 9 yotes on my last vacation to the desert a few years back. About three days after I shot the above groups. I in stalled a steel KDW base one my LTR last summer and re sighted it in and re tested the same 40 grain load with NBTs vs the discontinued combined technology coated ones. They grouped the same and now I can QR between night vision and my leupold target optic on it.

I picked up a RCBC charge lite fluted trickle charger last year. Boy, does that save time and extremely accurate to boot.

Last edited:
All three of my .223 rifles have done their best with Varget. But use more CFE 223 now as it's quite a bit cleaner burning and I still get fine accuracy.

I've used W748 and H335 for over 30 years in my bolt gun (Rem 788 in .223 Rem) shooting cloverleafs @100yds using 40, 50 & 60gr SPs, HPs, V-Maxs, & B Tips. Lately I have discovered Benchmark & H4895 for the 60-62 gr V-Max & Varmageddon in the AR.
As to metering: I don't bother to weigh 748, 335, & Benchmark. Once I get a good load established I set the Redding powder measure and load up. I'm torn on weighing H4895. It is a very fine, needle-thin stick powder that meters much better than the usual stick powders like 4350 or 4831 that I use for bigger bores.

Originally Posted By: HellgateOnce I get a good load established I set the Redding powder measure and load up. I'm torn on weighing H4895. It is a very fine, needle-thin stick powder that meters much better than the usual stick powders like 4350 or 4831 that I use for bigger bores.

+1^^^ May be a bit more critical in smaller cases, but I did not weight charges for match .308 & 30-06 size cases loaded w/H4895 once the "optimum" charge was determined for each rifle. There will be one or more plateaus in a ladder test where minor variance in load will have little or no effect on POI. The Dillon powder measures would handle H4895 within + or minus .1 gr. and that was good enough in the larger cases.

Regards,
hm

I have and use several different powders but I think my favorite is probably Alliant RL7; but there are so many good ones to choose from! RL7 gives me acceptable velocity and exceptional accuracy in all of my 223's. I also like TAC, AA2230, Benchmark, RL10X, and Varget is good for heavy bullets. I normally shoot lighter bullets (52/53 gr) so I lean towards the faster powders. I've started experimenting with other ball powders though as they go through the powder measure so well compared to stick powders.

50 gr vmax or Nosler bt. 25:x. of vn 133. Magical accuracy and velocity. Work up to it. Start at 24 something. If you get to 25,3 or 25,5. You will be impressed by the velocity. And accuracy. Jim Carmichael listed this in outdoor life one time

THANKS EVERYONE !!!!
To do a load ladder where would I start with a 50 grain bullet and with a 55 grain bullet?
SORRY THIS IS NEW TO ME
smile.gif
smile.gif

Last edited:
Bullet weight matters only in that the twist rate of the rifle barrel needs to properly stabilize the bullet. Velocity of the bullet plays apart in bullet stability also.

Back