5.56 SBR/Pistol AR's for Coyotes?

StarFox_64

Just curious how many people use SBR/Pistol AR's on their coyote stands.

I'm thinking of going 11.5" but leaning towards 12.5" with a suppressor.

I also live in Nevada so typically wide open country.

Majority of my coyotes are within 300 yds. I'm not sure I'm a good enough shot to hit them beyond that regardless the caliber. I get too excited.

Anyone with experience wanna list the pro's and con's they've experienced with shorter AR's chambered in .223/5.56?

Last edited:
I would think velocity would suffer enough 300 would be a poke. 223 is only a 300 yard cartridge with a longer barrel to start with. I would think you would want a bullet that expands at a fairly low speed. I would look towards a bigger bore cartridge.

Last edited:
Generally speaking,

Most folks have a difficult time judging distance in the heat of the moment when a critter appears. The faster the velocity you can obtain, the less bullet drop you have.

Certain bullets also need a certain amount of velocity to open up on impact.

I have many short barrels. The thought never crossed my mind to use one Coyotes though.

I use a 16 inch barreled suppressed rifle primarily, with 55 grain bullets. (shots inside of 200 yards)

I like them to drop right there. No suffering from lack of power or poor shot placement due to misjudged distance and/or wind

I use an sbr and live in So. Nv. But...i rarely shoot over 100 yrds on coyotes. Never had an issue at the distances i normally kill at. If the distance is a problem, call em closer or let them live another day.

Originally Posted By: crapshootI use an sbr and live in So. Nv. But...i rarely shoot over 100 yrds on coyotes. Never had an issue at the distances i normally kill at. If the distance is a problem, call em closer or let them live another day.

And that’s why I switched to a shotgun only for calling about a decade ago.

I use a shotgun also but usually only on stands where an elevated position isn't possible and or where visibility is less than 75 yrds.

And just because most my shots are under 100 yrds doesn't mean i wouldn't be comfortable taking a shot out to 250 with the sbr.

Mine’s 10.5”, plus a 6” can. I have 5.56, 6.8, and 458 socom uppers for it, all 10.5”. I also have a 12.5” pistol, but favor the balance of the 10.5’s.

Originally Posted By: StarFox_64Just curious how many people use SBR/Pistol AR's on their coyote stands.

I'm thinking of going 11.5" but leaning towards 12.5" with a suppressor.

I also live in Nevada so typically wide open country.

Majority of my coyotes are within 300 yds. I'm not sure I'm a good enough shot to hit them beyond that regardless the caliber. I get too excited.

Anyone with experience wanna list the pro's and con's they've experienced with shorter AR's chambered in .223/5.56?

IF you can hit'em, it'll put them down. I just wonder how many guys that have those pistols really shoot enough to be competent making good hits on a target like that. There's a lot of guys that don't practice enough with their long guns as it, let alone a pistol.

I have personally seen a 9mm suppressed SBR, shooting sub sonic loads, knock down a coyote at 97 yards. But that was from an accomplished shooter.

Not a whole lot of difference between an sbr and a pistol with a brace other than the definition of a "stock" and a $200 stamp.

Back