Right time, Right place

DoubleUp

Got a call at daylight this morning from a turkey hunter (youth day) in the back of the field behind my house. He said there was a big coyote out in the field. By the time I got my bearings, and got the rifle ready the coyote was about 450 yds. and I didn't know for sure where the turkey hunter was located. 450 is a little beyond my comfort range with thermal so I passed on the shot.

He showed back up a little before 10 tonight and took one to the heart. Big male.

IMG_0622 by Double Up, on Flickr

Nice dog,was the shot angled?just asking not detracting but the blood spot unless angled is not a heart shot.Or is that the exit wound,shot in the right side,some may not know,main thing is he's down.

Yes, the shot hit him in the chest and what you see is the exit wound. Remember I'm shooting on a down angle, and the bullet hit him right center chest and exited where you see on his left side.

Scope is a Pulsar Apex XQ50. Rifle is a Ruger Predator in 243 shooting a 58 V-Max at between 3,800 and 3,850 fps. I usually shoot a 6x45 (I call it the Parvo) with 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips, but I've had so many long shots this winter I switched over to the 243. In the summer when the crops are up and visibility is more close range I'll probably switch to 16" AR in 223 because it is just easier to handle with a 9" suppressor stuck on the end.

I reckon I just get bored shooting the same rifle all the time, but I have been shooting the Predator exclusively since early Nov. last year. It shoots flat and hits hard.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI reckon I just get bored shooting the same rifle all the time, but I have been shooting the Predator exclusively since early Nov. last year. It shoots flat and hits hard.
I hear you exactly. Experimenting with something new or different at times keeps a little spice going and is half the fun. You have certainly made good of the .243 this season.

Thanks. For the good video. I really like watching your video and the Guy from ND videos. You guys sure have it down. I have a D760 and a Flir 64 and don’t even go hunting. Both knees replaced , one did not turn out that great , age 60. NV I have start getting out and force myself to go. I hope to retire in 3 years maybe 4 years and hunt 3 nights week. Thanks again for the good videos. Marty

Last edited:
I'm certainly glad you enjoy them Marty. I enjoy putting them together as well. It's really disappointing when I don't get video, but it happens at times. That dust trail this last coyote kicked up which looked like a NASCAR burnout would have been lost without the recording. It was pretty neat. The videos teach me a lot about what I did right or wrong, and for sure will let you know that your bullet didn't go where you would have sworn it went when you pulled the trigger.

Sorry your knees are giving you so much trouble, but I think you're right in forcing yourself to get up and go. I'm 73 and get lazy sometimes, but I know I have to keep going because none of us are guaranteed another day, and at my age, I know my hunting days are getting on the short side at the very best.

THX,I understand completely,chest shots are tough when they're facing,even on a big dog the kill zone is barely 6 inches wide,lots of room for error.Measure a big dog between the front legs you'd be amazed.Good shooting.

THX,I understand completely,chest shots are tough when they're facing,even on a big dog the kill zone is barely 6 inches wide,lots of room for error.Measure a big dog between the front legs you'd be amazed.Good shooting.

Thank you Ohio. He weighed in at 38.5 lbs. so not the biggest coyote I've killed this year but still a good big male.

I agree,some get hung up on size and weight,means really nothing,a big yote eats as much beneficial wildlife as a small one,did you check out the 45LB one I just whacked?Just saying,good shooting.Wrong forum,check me out on predator masters,same handle,I think I kill a few,when I figure out how to post here ,will do.

Last edited:
thumbup.gif
Thanks DU----I also enjoy your hunt vid's,nice male coyote--I also turned 73 this passed January I have really slowed up this passed year---My Largest male coyote weighted 42 lbs but most large males are 30+ range here in the U.P.---Happy Hunting to Ya-------------svb

Last edited:
Yesterday afternoon I walked back in the field to see if I saw any fresh tracks, and I saw a set of fresh prints that were made after the rain last night, but probably later in the night or maybe just before daylight as they didn't mire in much at all.

I put out a few scraps and about 8:30 I decided to scan the field and there was a coyote out there, but much farther back. She was going to the south and was almost persuaded to go into the woods . I didn't want to blow a shot so I just waited and she turned around and came back across the field.

I killed her at 285 yds. laser ranged, but unfortunately for some reason the DVR didn't get it recorded. That's such a disappointment and it was a beautiful DRT shot. Anyway here are a couple of pictures. Light colored medium sized female.

IMG_0625 by Double Up, on Flickr

Picked her up with the meat wagon.

IMG_0626 by Double Up, on Flickr

Back