Baiting

Back at ya 6mm. I'll continue the hunting when the coyotes show up around here, as that's the way its always been. Quiet here since my last kill a couple weeks ago. I suspect the pups will be out around June perhaps?

The Pulsar DIGEX scope is shipping today. I'll mount and test as soon as it comes in and see how it does.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Burn, I’m sure everyone is anxiously awaiting your thoughts after testing the new Digex, I know I am.

I am one of the "everyone".

Good post on the recap keep her going deal 06.

Good job DU. You're stacking them deep lately for sure.

Went hunting with my BIL last night. Had 3 come in at the same time about midnight. They came in so fast I forgot to hit the record button so no video.

We shot at the same time on #1 and #2. #3 took off and we didnt get a shot. Retrieved #1. I'll name him Charlie. Charlie went ditch digging and also went for a swim in a creek. After the initial hit, he went down and got back up and a second shot hit in the rear but he kept going. Tough dude.

Didnt find the one I shot but I think it was a solid broadside hit. Probably Charlietta. Will try to find her today.

OUIbdUh.jpg

[video:youtube][/video]

Last edited:
I believe it is DU.

Edited my post as my BIL sent me the video from his 4K scope. Looks like mine on the right hit the ground momentarily as well before taking off. Probably went ditch digging in the creek on the right side of his property.

DoubleUp, Bernadine won’t win any beauty contests but she does have the black gene, so she gets a few points for that.

Good video Burn. The light on your rifle certainly lit them up. What light did you use and what distance?

Well, I don’t have any ditches for them to dig here in the mountains, but I do have steep hillsides and laurel thickets so dense a mouse has a hard time getting through.

6mm - I use the ATN 850 Pro. My BIL has the standard IR light that came with the 4K and he took the video. The Pro is much more focused and much brighter. I also have the standard IR light on my gun and use it sometimes for initial scanning if needed. Didnt have time to turn it on for this episode.

He sits to my left so we agree that if we get 2 coming in that one is his responsibility. I lit them both up as you can see they were criss-crossing back and forth a few times. After the shots you can see my light being turned off and the BILs follow up shots on his were with the standard light.

I'd guess range was probably 60 yards +/-

BIL insists there was a 3rd one behind the two we got after but I never saw it. Tunnel vision took over during the action.

ETA - the SCION scanner worked great. First time out with it where we actually saw coyotes. Battery run time was 4 hours on rechargeable 123s

Last edited:
I had a coyote come in to my bait pile two nights ago around 3am. The battery connection on my DVR came loose so it didn't record. 1 shot with 300 blackout and 110 gr V-max at about 2100 fps. Right after the shot i saw the coyotes eyes briefly, it appeared to be expiring behind some bushes and just out of my sight. I went out the next morning to retrieve it and couldn't find it anywhere. I traced all the game trails on my property and did some wading through the bushes....nothing. I checked all 6 of my game cameras that are on the various trails on the property...nothing. The critter somehow snuck in and snuck out. I'm pretty sure I gave it a new piercing though.

Well, a friends dog killed one of his goats, so i put the carcass in my back yard hoping to pop a coyote or two off it. Last night it was untouched, birds still hadnt even found it. This morning its gone. Lion must have drug it off. Lesson learned, tie the [beeep] thing to a tree.

Night hunting ended March 15th Illinois. Our dachshunds got into our chickens and killed several of them. I threw the chickens on the bait pile in front of the alarm. Maybe I'll be able to pick on up at first light. Something has been hitting the piglets that are out there still. I noticed there were lots of tracks in my neighbors field too.

Last edited:
Back