Choose my next rifle caliber for me

How about a .257 Roberts or .257 AI?

If you really want a conversation piece go with a .257 Weatherby.

6mm or 22 Creedmore sound ok too.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI know what a 6mm is and a .244, but there's no mag to it.

"I honestly have enjoyed some of your recent posts. You seem to be very knowledgeable about firearms."

I appreciate everyone's responses and this confirmed my original thoughts. I have narrowed it down to a Bartlein #3 Heavy Sporter contour, fluted in 6mm Creedmoor. As much as it may offend some, i feel it would be almost wasteful to make a nice action into a .243 and even a 6mm creedmoor but as i dont want to be spending time making my own brass and factory ammo is available, ive decided a 6 Creed is as "oddball" as i want to get on this build while still giving me the performance i desire.

For those interested, build plans also include a Grayboe Outlander stock, standard BDL bottom metal (for simplicity and weight), Timney trigger i already have laying around, and then a VX3i 3.5-10x50 Windplex CDS i have laying around as well. May order a VX5HD, not sure just yet.

Again, thank you all for the input, ill have to follow up with pictures once she's done!

If a S/A build I d lean to 6 CM or 6 XC so OAL with high BC bullets can be < 2.8". If on a long action then make decision based on velocity you d like. I d go 8 twist for all around balance.

this new generation and their calling rifles. since when did fast and flat go out of style? I get it the new competition and big game bullets have infested the predator world. Old bullets sucked and had to be pushed hard ya ya ya. I understand the desire for heavy for caliber when shooting steel or something out there a ways. You seriously want to dope every yardage 300 and in? [beeep] that. how about not thinking so much about drop and shooting too high and 150 yards because you sighted your 6.5 creed at 200. save the 105s for the canyons and shooting a deer 700 yards. I live in a place where that is valid. Probably gotta put a 5-25 on it too. A 243 and its variants are perfectly suitable for predator hunting. A 105 is a wasted move. Are you guys calling in extreme winds or something? I dont call if wind is much at all. Dont kid your selves. By the way i have 6/6.5 creedmoors but not for calling. Dang why do i do this to myself? Leave it alone i know.

243 all the way you can load light bullets for small prairie dog and heavy for deer & Antelope all so it is a very accurate round good luck

Back