Rank current production 243 Win brass for me

204 AR

If we throw out Lapua, as I'm not likely to use it in the AR, what are the best brands?

Historically I've used Winchester by far the most and it worked well I guess, seems to last a long time if annealled.

Starline has been good to me. 5x fired and no signs of giving up. Although i did have a batch last year that was undersized new. They took care of it.

I'm currently replacing all my .243 brass with starline.

I love their brass and for the price it can't be beat.

I use their 6.5 Creedmoor SRP brass and .222 Remington brass.

I'm trying to convince them to make .22-250 Brass, but no such luck yet.

On advice from another poster here I started buying Sig brass a couple of years back. I have been more than pleased with it and say that it compares very favorably to Lapua but way cheaper in price.

Peterson is good brass. Graf and sons has Federal pull down 243 brass 31.99/100. Jagemann brass is good also.

Last edited:
I saw the Federal deal at Grafs, that does seem cheap. I just remember the Federal 308 brass lost primer pockets pretty early iirc. Haven't seen any Sig but I'll have to check that out. I'm not opposed to Starline or Petersen either, they're probably all pretty good.

I toss out federal brass or save it to trade for other brands. I just don’t trust It. I’ve had a lot of cracked necks on factory loaded ammo after the first firing. Other than that I’m not a 243 brass snob. I mainly use Remington and Winchester brass in all four of my 243’s with excellent accuracy. I have brass Of both brands I’ve shot almost 20 times with no cracking or loose primer pockets. I do anneal all my 243 range brass pick ups before resizing and trimming. I then anneal again after every couple of firings. I finally lost a couple of cases last year that I bought back in 1999 that were fired so many times I lost count and never annealed once and I also loaded them to long causing excessive pressure. My fault.

I’ve ordered and returned a bag of bulk federal lake city look alike 223 casings not to long ago that were all trimmed .4” shorter then minimum Sami recommended specs.

Last edited:
Peterson 243 Brass is extremely consistent and if you anneal, it will last a very long time.

Post your results as you try other brands of brass. I know I am curious

Back