Which Bullet?

Originally Posted By: 1100 Remington ManOriginally Posted By: K-22hornet.I've never had a Barnes not work properly, and have been using them since 1992, and I have never recovered a Barnes out of a big game animal.

I used Nosler Partitions from my very first biggame hunt, in 1970, until I tried Barnes in 1992.

A 140gr Barnes TTSX or TSX out of your 7mm Mag will work wonders on any elk.

I went to Alaska this year and my brother's friend was shooting 180gr Barnes TTSX 180gr and we found it under the hide of the Caribou with No Expansion only the plastic tip missing. You could wipe it off and reload it.
I was unimpressed. But it was just one bullet.

I don't know how to post a photo on here or I would put a picture of the only Barnes bullet I have ever recovered from a big game animal. It was a 160 gr Barnes TSX I took from just under the hide on the opposite shoulder of a Blue Wildebeest. Took him directly through both shoulders.

We shot 13 animals on that trip with my 7mm RUM and that bullet and that was the only one that did not pass through the animal. I would also point out that every one of those animal's (all plains game with the largest being a Kudu, Zebra, Gemsbok) chin hit the ground where they stood just before their back end followed. They never took a step and I shot every one of them through the shoulders.

So, my experience with Barnes has been nothing but fantastic and out of my 7mm RUM I have shot everything from 110 gr TTSX through the 160 gr TSX. My favorite .284 caliber in my 7mm RUM is the 145 gr LRX, which is their long range bullet.

Last edited:
Before the lockdown(range is closed) here I made it out to the 300 yard bench. With my Rem sendero in 7saum I had found a good load with the Berger 150 classic Hunter(H4831sc) and the Barnes 160 TSX FB(R22). The Berger gave me average .78 inch 3 shot group at 300 yards. The Barnes was 1.1 inch average with 3 shot group at 300 yards. The Barnes load was a faster velocity and it showed in the drop. About 4.5 " drop(Berger)vs 3" for the TSX load.

None of your picks...I’d shoot a Nosler partition. I like old school lead tipped expansion with a lot of energy dump. The accubond sails right every deer I’ve shot and they run with zero blood trail with double lung shots. They act like FMJs.

Back